If you are not an UMSL student and attend a MAUI institution, please visit the MAUI website.
INFORMATION BELOW IS VALID FOR UMSL STUDENTS ONLY
Location: Iaşi, Romania, Europe
Program Type: UMSL Exchange Program through the MAUI-Utrecht Network Exchange Consortium open to undergraduate and graduate students
Language of Instruction: English and/or Romanian
UMSL Term Abroad: Academic Year, Spring
Approximate Dates Abroad:
Academic Year: Late September - Late June
Spring Semester: February - Late June
Application Deadline: We encourage applicants to this program to apply by the priority deadline - your chances of admission are increased by doing so.
- Fall/Academic Year: February 16 (priority deadline), April 16 (final)
- Spring: September 23 (final)
UMSL Study Abroad Eligibility Requirements.
- TAUGHT IN ENGLISH
- Business - Accounting
- Business - Business Administration
- Business - Finance (also available at graduate level)
- Business - Information Systems
- Business - International Business
- Business - Management
- Business - Marketing
- Computer Science (also available at graduate level)
- English (also available at graduate level)
- Other subjects also available at graduate level: Environmental Geochemistry, American Studies, Applied Linguistics, Translation and Terminology, Molecular Genetics, Plasma Physics, Spectroscopy and Self-Organization, Biophysics and Medical Physics, Modeling and Simulation, Advanced Materials. Nanotechnologies
- TAUGHT IN ROMANIAN
- Students with a high proficiency/native fluency may enroll directly in the regular university programs in nearly all fields
The University: Alexandru Ioan Cuza University of Iaşi is the oldest higher education institution in Romania. Since 1860, the university has been carrying on a tradition of excellence and innovation in the fields of education and research. With over 26.000 students and 800 academic staff, the university enjoys high prestige at national and international level and cooperates with over 250 universities world-wide.
Academics: The university offers the above course offerings in English and is particularly well-known for their computer science programs. Research at the university is top level. In 2008, for the third year in a row, Alexandru Ioan Cuza University was placed first in the national research ranking compiled on the basis of Shanghai criteria. The teachers are involved in over 400 national and international research projects, with the logistic support of 24 research centres. Striving for excellence, the university takes unique initiatives to stimulate research quality, to encourage dynamic and creative education and to involve its best students in academic life.
International students may attend Romanian language intensive courses if they wish.
Housing: Accommodation in the "Gaudeamus" Centre for International Exchanges in double or triple rooms.
Activities and Programs:
Location: Iaşi is an afordable city, where prices can be lower than in other Romanian cities. Located in the historical Moldavia region, Iași has traditionally been one of the leading centers of Romanian social, cultural, academic and artistic life.
International Office Website: http://www.uaic.ro/uaic/bin/view/Cooperation/StudentiInternationali?language=en
Cost Estimates for 2014-15*
Use the Budget Worksheet to compare the below cost to your personal budget or living on campus at UMSL.
|HTH mandatory insurance||$175.00|
|Books and course materials||$50.00|
|Meals & Personal Expenses||$1,100.00|
Course Equivalencies: Each student is responsible for researching what courses are available to take and for obtaining an UMSL equivalent course. The UMSL equivalent course number is the course for which you will receive credit on your UMSL transcript. Finding courses to take while you are abroad requires some time and research. More information is on the course equivalency page.
Upon Acceptance: Students will be required to submit supplemental materials, purchase HTH insurance, and participate in a mandatory orientation. More information will be distributed to all accepted students.
* UMSL tuition fees are based on 12 undergraduate credit hours at the 2014/15 rate - 2015/16 tuition rate TBA April 2015. Non-resident fees may apply.
* Costs are based off a five month semester.
* Airline estimate based off of online search.
* Please note that expenses are ESTIMATES. Costs vary depending on the exchange rate, the inflation rate, individual spending habits, and amount of extra travel. The cost estimate above does not include visa expenses, personal expenses, independent travel, which vary widely from student to student.
* Program information is subject to change.
Some photos and text courtesy of Alexandru Ioan Cuza University of Iaşi