University of Debrecen
Location: Debrecen, Hungary, Europe
Program Type: UMSL Exchange Program
Special Notes: Special $2500 scholarship provided by the generosity of the Hungarian Missouri Educational Partnership. Students should apply through the Study Abroad Office.
Language of Instruction: English and/or Hungarian
UMSL Term Abroad: Academic Year, Fall, Spring. It is recommended that students interested in only one term in Debrecen apply for the Spring semester.
Approximate Dates Abroad:
Academic Year: September - late June
Fall semester: September - January (special arrangements can be made for students to take exams in December so they can return for the Spring Semester at UMSL)
Spring semester: February - late June
Application Deadline: We encourage applicants to this program to apply by the priority deadline - your chances of admission are increased by doing so.
- Fall/Academic Year: February 16 (priority), April 16 (final)
- Spring: September 23 (priority), October 23 (final)
UMSL Study Abroad Eligibility Requirements. No previous knowledge of Hungarian language is required, however, there is a limited selection of course offerings in English.
- TAUGHT IN ENGLISH
- Business - Business Administration
- Business - Information Systems
- Business - International Business (graduate level only)
- Computer Science
- Engineering - Civil Engineering
- Engineering - Electrical Engineering
- Engineering - Mechanical Engineering
- English (also available at graduate level)
- Languages - French
- Languages - German
- Languages - Hungarian
- Medical and Health Sciences
- Public Health
- TAUGHT IN HUNGARIAN
- Languages - Hungarian
- Students with a high proficiency/native fluency may enroll directly in the regular university programs
The University: The University of Debrecen was formed on January 1, 2000 by reuniting formerly independent institutions. Its historical roots reach back to the foundation of the Reformed College of Debrecen (1538), whose three academic sections later served as the base for the Hungarian Royal University of Sciences. With this history of more than 450 years, the University of Debrecen is the oldest institution of higher education in continuous operation in Hungary based in the same city. The University of Debrecen has a student body of 29,000, out of which 19,000 are full-time students.
Academics: Students will choose from courses taught in English and also take a Hungarian language course. English is widely spoken, but students should learn some Hungarian while studying abroad to have more interaction with the local culture.
Housing: Students may live in shared on-campus dormitories or find an apartment in the private sector. Dormitories are often run by private housing agencies, so be expected to pay a finders fee to a housing agency, as well as a deposit either prior to or upon arrival. A typical apartment has two-three single rooms with a shared kitchen and bathroom.
Activities and Programs: Students are welcome to participate in clubs and organizations, however, many may not be accessible for non-Hungarian speakers. There is an American Corner for English speakers.
Location: Debrecen is the second largest city in Hungary with roots going back to the 13th century. The city has over 200,000 inhabitants and more than 20,000 students. Debrecen is a clean, modern city with traditional architecture and many festivals and cultural events throughout the year. In 2004, Hungary became part of the European Union. It provides an interesting location to study and great access to the rest of Europe.
International Office Website: http://www.englishstudies.sci.unideb.hu/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=102&Itemid=61
Course Offerings: http://erasmus.unideb.hu/ects/courselistdownload.html
English Studies: http://englishstudies.sci.unideb.hu/
American Corner Website: http://americancorner.hu/htmls/ac_debrecen.html
Cost Estimates for 2013-14*
Use the Budget Worksheet to compare the below cost to your personal budget or living on campus at UMSL.
|Books and course materials
|Mandatory HTH insurance
|Meals & Personal Expenses
|Hungarian Missouri Scholarship
Course Equivalencies: Each student is responsible for researching what courses are available to take and for obtaining an UMSL equivalent course. The UMSL equivalent course number is the course for which you will receive credit on your UMSL transcript. Finding courses to take while you are abroad requires some time and research. More information is on the course equivalency page.
Upon Acceptance: Students will be required to submit supplemental materials, purchase HTH insurance, and participate in a mandatory orientation. More information will be distributed to all accepted students.
* UMSL tuition fees are based on 12 undergraduate credit hours at the 2013/14 rate - 2014/15 tuition rate TBA April 2014. Non-resident fees may apply.
* Costs based on four month semester.
* Airline estimate based off of online search.
* Please note that expenses are ESTIMATES. Costs vary depending on the exchange rate, the inflation rate, individual spending habits, and amount of extra travel. The cost estimate above does not include visa expenses, personal expenses, independent travel, which vary widely from student to student.
* Program information is subject to change.
* Other includes student id card, residence permit, cost of additional Hungarian fee paying course, and Hungarian insurance.