Comenius University in Bratislava
If you are not an UMSL student and attend a MAUI institution, please visit the MAUI website.
INFORMATION BELOW IS VALID FOR UMSL STUDENTS ONLY
Location: Bratislava, Slovakia, Europe
Program Type: UMSL Exchange Program through the MAUI-Utrecht Network Exchange Consortium open to undergraduate and graduate students.
Language of Instruction: English and/or Slovakian
UMSL Term Abroad: Academic Year, Spring
Approximate Dates Abroad:
Academic Year: Mid-September - Late June
Spring Semester: Early February - Late June
Application Deadline: We encourage applicants to this program to apply by the priority deadline - your chances of admission are increased by doing so.
- Fall/Academic Year: February 16 (priority), April 16 (final)
- Spring: September 23 (final)
UMSL Study Abroad Eligibility Requirements.
- TAUGHT IN ENGLISH
- Anthropology (also available at graduate level)
- Business - Business Administration (also available at graduate level)
- Business - Information Systems
- Business - International Business
- Business - Management (also available at graduate level)
- Business - Marketing
- English (also available at graduate level)
- European Studies (also available at graduate level)
- Liberal Studies
- Modern European Studies
- Pre-Law or Law
- Public Policy and Administration
- Social and Work Psychology (also available at graduate level)
- TAUGHT IN SLOVAKIAN
- Students with a high proficiency/native fluency may enroll directly in the regular university programs
The University: Comenius University in Bratislava is the oldest and largest university in the Slovak Republic. It was founded in 1919 and follows the traditions of one of the first Universities in Europe the Academia Istropolitana, which was established in Bratislava by the Hungarian King Matthias Corvinus in 1465. The Comenius University hosts the highest number of foreign students among all universities in our country.
Academics: UMSL students may enroll in the academic subjects above. Basic Slovak language courses (20 hours) starting in September and February are available for free.
Housing: There are two dormitory options for students and placement depends on the students subject of study. Most UMSL students will likely be place in Dormitory VM Mlyny. The layout of the dortmitory VM Mlyny is in a cell system in double and triple rooms with a bathroom, shower, toilet and two fridges shared by four rooms in each cell. All rooms have an internet access (it is necessary to have a cable for internet connection which is not included in the payment for accommodation). A kitchenette (cook-range) is shared by all rooms at the corridor (2 cook-ranges for 30 rooms). A laundrette, used by our students, is situated in each building. Lunch and dinner are available in the student canteens, snacks and beverages in the cafeteria. The accommodated students can enjoy their leisure activities in our sports area.
There is a health centre on-site, providing primary health and dentistry care.
Activities and Programs: The university hosts a “Welcome week” which includes language courses, guides, and a social program.
Location: Thanks to its central position in Europe, Slovakia has always been a crossroad of cultures. Bratislava is the capital of Slovakia and, with a population of about 460,000, also the country's largest city. It is approximately 30 miles from Vienna, Austria and two hours by train to Budapest. Bratislava’s mix of medieval buildings and 21st century architecture reflects the unique history of the city and country. The city has a beautiful Old Town historic center and plenty of cultural activities throughout the year.
International Office Website: http://www.uniba.sk/index.php?id=2865
Cost Estimates for 2014-15*
Use the Budget Worksheet to compare the below cost to your personal budget or living on campus at UMSL.
|HTH mandatory insurance
|Books and course materials
|Meals & Personal Expenses
Course Equivalencies: Each student is responsible for researching what courses are available to take and for obtaining an UMSL equivalent course. The UMSL equivalent course number is the course for which you will receive credit on your UMSL transcript. Finding courses to take while you are abroad requires some time and research. More information is on the course equivalency page.
Upon Acceptance: Students will be required to submit supplemental materials, purchase HTH insurance, and participate in a mandatory orientation. More information will be distributed to all accepted students.
* UMSL tuition fees are based on 12 undergraduate credit hours at the 2014/15 rate - 2015/16 tuition rate TBA April 2015. Non-resident fees may apply.
* Costs are based off a five month semester.
* Airline estimate based off of online search.
* Please note that expenses are ESTIMATES. Costs vary depending on the exchange rate, the inflation rate, individual spending habits, and amount of extra travel. The cost estimate above does not include visa expenses, personal expenses, independent travel, which vary widely from student to student.
*Program information is subject to change.
* Other includes local insurance.
Some photos and text courtesy of Comenius University in Bratislava