If you are not an UMSL student and attend a MAUI institution, please visit the MAUI website.
INFORMATION BELOW IS VALID FOR UMSL STUDENT ONLY
Location: Aarhus, Denmark, Europe
Program Type: UMSL Exchange Program through the MAUI-Utrecht Network Exchange Consortium
Language of Instruction: English and/or Danish
UMSL Term Abroad: Academic Year, Spring, Summer
Approximate Dates Abroad:
Academic Year: Late August - Late June
Spring Semester: Early February - Late June
Application Deadline: We encourage applicants to this program to apply by the priority deadline - your chances of admission are increased by doing so.
- Academic Year: February 16 (priority), March 16 (final)
- Spring: September 23 (final)
UMSL Study Abroad Eligibility Requirements.
Subjects Available: Course offerings in English change each term. It is important to view the Aarhus website for current offerings.
- TAUGHT IN ENGLISH
- Biochemistry and Biotechnology (also available at graduate level)
- Biology (also available at graduate level)
- Business - Accounting (also available at graduate level)
- Business - Business Administration (also available at graduate level)
- Business - Finance (also available at graduate level)
- Business - Information Systems (also available at graduate level)
- Business - International Business (also available at graduate level)
- Business - Logistics & Operations Management (also available at graduate level)
- Business - Management (also available at graduate level)
- Business - Marketing (also available at graduate level)
- Business - Operations Management (graduate level only)
- Chemistry (also available at graduate level)
- Communications (also available at graduate level)
- Computer Science (also available at graduate level)
- East Asian Studies
- Economics (also available at graduate level)
- Education - Adult and Higher Education (graduate level only)
- Engineering - Electrical Engineering
- Engineering - Mechanical Engineering
- English (also available at graduate level)
- Film Studies
- History (also available at graduate level)
- International Relations
- Mathematics (also available at graduate level)
- Media Studies
- Modern European Studies
- Philosophy (also available at graduate level)
- Physics (also available at graduate level)
- Political Science
- Pre-Law or Law
- Psychology (also available at graduate level)
- TAUGHT IN DANISH
- Students with a high proficiency/native fluency may enroll directly in the regular university programs in nearly all fields
The University: The University of Aarhus was founded in 1928 and was the first Danish university to be established outside the capital of Copenhagen. The University has four faculties: Faculty of Arts, Faculty of Science and Technology, Faculty of Health, and Faculty of Business and Social Sciences. Currently, 34,000 students are enrolled at the University.
Danish is the national language of Denmark. However, English is widely used and most Danes can speak English fluently. At the University of Aarhus, the first language of instruction is Danish. However, in most departments, there are courses taught in English which students on exchange programmes are able to participate in. Students do not need to be proficient in Danish (or have any Danish language abilities at all) to be able to study at the university and reside in Denmark. As long as the student is proficient in English, they will be able to manage in both educational and social settings. However, exchange students should not forgo an opportunity to learn Danish. Learning Danish allows an exchange student to gain a better appreciation of the Danish culture and provides an opportunity to participate in daily life at a more meaningful level.
Academics: The University of Aarhus offers many courses taught in English, so exchange students have a wide offering to choose from. A Danish university education requires self-discipline. This is mainly due to the fact that in most courses, students are not evaluated during the semester. Often, the final exam or paper is worth 100% of the course mark. Thus, it is up to the individual student to get the most out of what is offered - another reason why study groups play an important role within the system.
Another stimulating factor is the academic environment which may seem informal to foreign students. Professors and staff members speak with the students and associate with them during breaks and professors are often addressed by their first name.
Housing: The International Centre has a housing department through which exchange students can apply for housing in Aarhus. While the facilities vary from building to building, the sense of community that characterizes residences is created by the people and not the structures in which they are housed.
Activities and Programs: All exchange students coming to the University of Aarhus are offered a mentor or tutor (depending on the department) to ease through the first weeks of their stay. The mentor will typically be a Danish student from the same department/faculty where the exchange student will be studying. The mentor can help the exchange student to settle in, e.g. pick him/her up upon arrival and provide a key to the room where the student will be living. Furthermore, the mentor can give an introduction to academic and social life at the university, to the city, and be the first link to the Danish student body. The mentor can also help with practical matters such as opening a bank account, going grocery shopping, registering for a social security number, etc.
Location: With a population in excess of 300,000 inhabitants, Aarhus is the second largest city in Denmark. It was founded around the year 900 by an unknown King of Denmark, at the time when the Vikings ruled the country. Today, Aarhus is known as the capital of the provinces and has a thriving business and commercial sector as well as many schools and educational institutions located in the area. The city hosts more than 30,000 students of higher education, making Aarhus a young and vibrant city.
Aarhus combines a country setting with all the advantages of city living. Situated on the waterfront, it is never far to sunlit beaches or refreshing green woods. In addition, Aarhus offers all the usual city comforts, such as restaurants, cafes, parks and gardens, theatres, art galleries, shopping centres, and night clubs. Cultural events take place all year round and the city has an international reputation as a live music venue.
International Office Website: http://www.au.dk/en/exchange/welcome/
Course Offerings: http://kursuskatalog.au.dk/en/
Cost Estimates for 2014-15*
Use the Budget Worksheet to compare the below cost to your personal budget or living on campus at UMSL.
|HTH mandatory insurance||$140.00|
|Books and course materials||$40.00|
|Meals & Personal Expenses||$1,500.00|
Course Equivalencies: Each student is responsible for researching what courses are available to take and for obtaining an UMSL equivalent course. The UMSL equivalent course number is the course for which you will receive credit on your UMSL transcript. Finding courses to take while you are abroad requires some time and research. More information is on the course equivalency page.
Upon Acceptance: Students will be required to submit supplemental materials, purchase HTH insurance, and participate in a mandatory orientation. More information will be distributed to all accepted students.
* UMSL tuition fees are based on 12 undergraduate credit hours at the 2014/15 rate - 2015/16 tuition rate TBA April 2015. Non-resident fees may apply.
* Costs are based off a four month semester.
* Airline estimate based off of online search.
* Please note that expenses are ESTIMATES. Costs vary depending on the exchange rate, the inflation rate, individual spending habits, and amount of extra travel. The cost estimate above does not include visa expenses, personal expenses, independent travel, which vary widely from student to student.
* Program information is subject to change.
* Other includes orientation fee, optional Danish course, Media Licence, Danish Insurance, and supplemental budget.
Photos and some text courtesy of Aarhus.