University of Missouri-St. Louis Faculty-Led Program
Location: Cape Town, South Africa
Dates: July 15-29, 2014 (tentatively)
Course: SW 4670: Cross Cultural Perspectives on Social Policy (3 credits)
Professors: Dr. Lois Pierce (UMSL) and Dr. Marjorie Sable (MU)
Course Description: The Schools of Social Work at the University of Missouri and the University of Missouri-St. Louis, in conjunction with the MU International Center, are sponsoring this two-week program to the University of Western Cape in South Africa.
This program offers the chance to meet with graduate social work students at the University of the Western Cape and will explore the intersection of social work and public health with visits to agencies that focus on child welfare in the context of HIV/AIDS. The Schools of Social Work in the University of Missouri System have a long-standing relationship with the University of Western Cape. UWC has a rich history of participation in the development of the new South Africa, and is now involved in poverty eradication, the HIV/AIDS crisis - particularly its affects of families and sexual health, and other concerns facing the nation.
Excursions: Program participants will visit several social service agencies in Cape Town focused on these and other issues, and will participate in service-learning projects. The program features visits to sites of historical importance in South Africa, including Robben Island and the District 6 Museum, as well as other activities around Cape Town.
Application Deadline: February 21, 2014
Eligibility Requirements for UMSL students:UMSL Study Abroad Eligibility Requirements.This program welcomes senior level undergraduate social work students and graduate social work students.
|Tuition (3 credits, 2013-2014 rates)||$947.40 (ug) or $1,227.30 (gr)|
|Meals & Personal Expenses||$500|
|Total||$4,497.40 to $4,777.30
*Subjet to change. Non-Credit Fee: $840.
Program Fee includes • housing, in-country transportation, entrance fees into some cultural sites/museums
Not Included in the Fees • international airfare •Passport Costs
Application and Deposit Deadline: February 21, 2014
Online Orientation Completion: TBA
Mandatory SA In Person Oriention: April TBA
Mandatory Program Orientation: TBA
Tuition Payment Deadline: 2 weeks prior to departure
For Additional Information:
Nate Daugherty, Study Abroad Coordinator (email@example.com, 314-516-6497)
Scholarships: available through International Studies and Programs for all accepted UMSL full-time degree-seeking students with a 2.75 GPA or above.
Students will need to submit the following documents to the Study Abroad Office. Forms are available online.
1. UMSL Study Abroad Application Form
2. Non-refundable*** $500 deposit (due at time of application - check payable to UMSL)
3. Scholarship application and scholarship essay (UMSL students only/optional)
4. Non-UMSL applicants are required to submit a $100 application fee. The application fee is payable by check or money order to 'UMSL'.
5. Non-UMSL students should apply through the University of Missouri-Columbia.
Application and non-refundable deposit are due by February 21, 2014.
Mandatory Pre-Departure Orientation:
Faculty-led program participants are required to complete the online study abroad orientation, which covers health and safety topics, culture shock, and much more. Participants may or may not have to attend an in-person orientation; you will be notified by the program coordinator via e-mail regarding the specific requirements for your program. Non-UMSL students residing in the St. Louis area are welcome to attend. Please notify the Study Abroad Office if you will be attending so that we may send you a parking permit and directions, details and location.
Important Information Regarding Fees and Registration:
There are two fees for faculty-led programs:Tuition and the Program Fee. Each fee must be paid separately.
1. Program fees must be paid by check or money order made out to UMSL and sent or brought to the Study Abroad Office. Credit cards are NOT accepted for program fees.
2. Tuition will be billed to your student account by the Cashier's Office after registration is complete. If not participating for credit, the non-credit fee is payable by check made out to UMSL and must be sent to the Study Abroad Office.
Registration Instructions will be sent to you via e-mail by the Study Abroad Coordinator. DO NOT TRY TO REGISTER WITHOUT RECEIVING INFORMATION FROM THE STUDY ABROAD OFFICE ABOUT THE CORRECT PROCEDURE FOR YOUR PROGRAM.
* Additional spots may be made available. This program requires a minimum number of participants for the program to be viable. Should that number not be reached, applicants will be contacted to discuss alternative opportunities.
** UMSL reserves the right to revise the program fee if there are fluctuations in the exchange rate and departure fees. Participants are responsible for any increase in rates.
***Deposit will be refunded only if you are not selected to participate in the program or the program is cancelled.