Japan Study Tour
Dates: May 19 - June 3, 2014
Business 3283:International Business & Society or
Japan 3290: Japanese Culture & Society
Nori Furuya, Founder and CEO of IGB Network-Tokyo and Visiting Professor of International Business - UMSL and
Amy Michael, Japanese Lecturer - UMSL
In May 2014 International Studies and Programs offers a unique opportunity to students to participate in a short term study abroad course - Japan Study Tour 2014. Students may choose to enroll in Japanese Business & Society or Japanese Culture & Society. Participants will enjoy cultural exploration combined with a study of a fascinating global economy and/or society. The trip will include lectures, language study, company and/or museum visits and breathtaking trips to sites of major interest.
The Japan Study Tour program incorporates company visits, government briefings, language training, cultural education, and introductions to modern and traditional aspects of Japanese society for a well-rounded study abroad experience.
Excursions: Students will spend eight days in Tokyo, one day in Nikko, one day in Nara, and five days in Kyoto. Optional day trips to Osaka, Hiroshima, and Takayama (Japan Alps) may be available.
Application Deadline: February 6, 2014
Spots Available: 20*
Eligibility Requirements for UMSL students:UMSL Study Abroad Eligibility Requirements.This program welcomes undergraduates, graduate students, and life-long learners.
|Tuition (3 cr. undergrad, 2013 rates)**
|Personal Expenses & Some Meals (approx)
**Subject to change. Tuition rates for Summer are determined in April.
If you are interested in participating in the program without pursuing academic credit, there is a supplemental Non-Credit Fee of $840.
Program Fee includes • Roundtrip Airfare, lodging and breakfast, some additional meals, all in-country program related travel and entrance fees, program materials, and HTH insurance
Not Included in the Fees •Some meals, personal expenses, passport
Application and Deposit Deadline: February 6, 2014
Acceptance Documents Deadline: March 7, 2014
Remaining Program Fee Deadline: March 7, 2014
Online Orientation Completion: March 31, 2014
Mandatory SA In Person Oriention: April TBA
Mandatory Program Orientation: TBA
Tuition Payment Deadline: Normal Cashiers Office schedule for Summmer
For Additional Information:
Amy Michael, Faculty Director (email@example.com)
Nori Furuya, Faculty Director (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Nate Daugherty, Study Abroad Coordinator (email@example.com, 314-516-6497)
Scholarships: available through International Studies & Programs for all accepted UMSL full-time, degree-seeking students with a 2.75 GPA or above.
Students will need to submit the following documents to the Study Abroad Office. Forms are available online.
1. Study Abroad Application Form
2. Non-refundable*** $500 deposit (due at time of application - check payable to UMSL)
3. Scholarship application and scholarship essay (UMSL students only/optional)
4. Interview with and recommendation by program leader.
5. Non-UMSL students must also submit a letter of recommendation and transcript
6. Non-UMSL applicants are required to submit a $100 application fee. The application fee is payable by check or money order to 'UMSL'.
Mandatory Pre-Departure Orientation:
Faculty-led program participants are required to complete the online study abroad orientation, which covers health and safety topics, culture shock, and much more. Participants may or may not have to attend an in-person orientation; you will be notified by the program coordinator via e-mail regarding the specific requirements for your program. Non-UM-St. Louis students residing in the St. Louis area are welcome to attend. Please notify the Study Abroad Office if you will be attending so that we may send you a parking permit and directions.
Important Information Regarding Fees and Registration:
There are two fees for faculty-led programs:Tuition and Program Fee. Each fee must be paid separately.
1. Program fees must be paid by check or money order made out to UMSL and sent or brought to the Study Abroad Office. Credit cards are NOT accepted for program fees.
2. Tuition will be billed to your student account by the Cashier's Office after registration is complete. Non-UMSL credit participants will be notified via e-mail by the Study Abroad Office as to how they can make payments online or through the Cashier's Office. If you are not participating for credit, the non-credit fee is payable by check made out to UMSL and must be sent to the Study Abroad Office.
Registration instructions will be sent to you via e-mail by the Study Abroad Coordinator. DO NOT TRY TO REGISTER WITHOUT RECEIVING INFORMATION FROM THE STUDY ABROAD OFFICE ABOUT THE CORRECT PROCEDURE FOR YOUR PROGRAM.
* Additional spots may be made available. This program requires a minimum number of participants for the program to be viable. Should that number not be reached, applicants will be contacted to discuss alternative opportunities.
** UMSL reserves the right to revise the program fee if there are fluctuations in the exchange rate and departure fees. Participants are responsible for any increase in rates.
***Deposit will be refunded only if you are not selected to participate in the program or the program is cancelled by behalf of the university.
PLEASE NOTE: This program alternates summers with the China Study Tour.