Nursing in Ethiopia
Location: Mekelle, Ethiopia, Africa
Program Type: Faculty-led short-term program
Language of Instruction: English
UMSL Term Abroad: Summer
Approximate Dates Abroad: July 11-29, 2014
UMSL Study Abroad Eligibility Requirements
. Applicants to this program must be nursing students who have finished all 3100 level courses, RN to BSN students, or graduate students.
Important Dates: Application deadline February 21, 2014
Course: NURSING 3405 or 6150: International Experience in Maternal-Infant Health (3 credits)
Course Description: This course provides nursing students an opportunity for international experience. Our students will explore cultural differences in maternal-infant health, and exchange ideas with in-country nursing students on contemporary issues facing families in developing world contexts. Students will learn about the role of the nurse in another country in providing health education and care. We will interact with the local population to understand their belief system and its relationship to health and illness, delivery of newborns, and the family. This course will be offered in summer as a 2-week program, with some preparatory work conducted at UMSL before the international trip.
Accommodations: TBD, private housing with a housekeeper
Cost Estimates for Summer 2014*
|Tuition (3 cr. undergrad or grad)*
||$947.40 or $1,227.10
|Meals & Personal Expenses
$4,197.40 or $4,477.10
Program fee includes •Airfare •Accommodations •Mandatory health insurance •Excursions •In-country transporation
Program fee does not include •Meals •Personal expenses
*Estimates subject to change depending on group size. Tuition rates for summer are not posted until April.
For additional information, please contact:Maryann Bozzette, Faculty Director (email@example.com, 314-516-6069) Nate Daugherty, Study Abroad Coordinator (firstname.lastname@example.org, 314-516-6497)
Students must submit the following documents to the Study Abroad Office. Forms are available online only.
1. UMSL Study Abroad Application
2. Non-refundable*** $500 deposit (due at time of application)
3. Scholarship application and scholarship essay (UMSL students only)
4. Non-UMSL applicants are required to submit a $100 application fee. The application fee is payable by check or money order to 'UMSL'.
5. Non-UMSL students must also submit a letter of recommendation and transcript.
Application and non-refundable deposit of $500 are due by February 21, 2014.
Mandatory Pre-Departure Orientation:
Faculty-led program participants are required to complete the online study abroad orientation, which covers health and safety topics, culture shock, and much more. Participants may or may not have to attend an in-person orientation; you will be notified by the program coordinator via e-mail regarding the specific requirements for your program. Non-UM-St. Louis students residing in the St. Louis area are welcome to attend. Please notify the Study Abroad Office if you will be attending so that we may send you a parking permit and directions. Details and location.
Important Information Regarding Fees and Registration:
There are two fees for faculty-led programs:Tuition and Program Fee. Each fee must be paid separately.
1. Program fees must be paid by check or money order made out to UMSL and sent or brought to the Study Abroad Office. Credit cards are NOT accepted for program fees.
2. Tuition will be billed to your student account by the Cashier’s Office after registration is complete. Non-UMSL credit participants will be notified via e-mail by the Study Abroad Office as to how they can make payments online or through the Cashier’s Office. If not participating for credit, the non-credit fee is payable by check made out to UMSL and must be sent to the Study Abroad Office.
Registration Instructions will be sent to you via e-mail by the Study Abroad Coordinator. DO NOT TRY TO REGISTER WITHOUT RECEIVING INFORMATION FROM THE STUDY ABROAD OFFICE ABOUT THE CORRECT PROCEDURE FOR YOUR PROGRAM.
* UMSL reserves the right to revise the program fee if there are fluctuations in the exchange rate. Participants are responsible for any increase in rates.
**Deposit will be refunded only if you are not selected to participate in the program.