EM Strasbourg’s International Summer School in European Busines
Location: Strasbourg, France, Europe
Program Type: UMSL Exchange Program available to undergraduate and graduate students.
Special Notes: Students pay UMSL tuition and no program fee. Suggested additional costs listed below.
Language of Instruction: English
UMSL Term Abroad: Summer. Students can also participate on semester or year exchange at this institution.
Approximate or Known Dates Abroad:
Two Sessions: June and July.
June 2nd - 27th, 2014
June 16th - July 11th, 2014
UMSL Eligibility Requirements.
Important Dates: Regular Application Deadlilne
Program: Each summer, UMSL's partner in France hosts and International Summer school in beautiful Strasbourg, France. Classes are typically held Monday-Friday. All classes, lectures, and visits will be held in English. A variety of company visits will be organized once a week in conjunction with the corporate business environment in Europe.Exchange students will enjoy full privileges while enrolled in the program: access to computer labs, the cafeteria and the library. Additional French language credit is available if students choose to take the language course.
Course Offerings: Both courses cover topics of Cross Cultural relations, Logistics, Strategy, Marketing, Economics, and more.
History 1000: Selected Topics in History (3 hours): European Integration - in conjunction with company and European Institution visits. The course covers the history of European Integration, European Institutions, and the European Union and the World.
Marketing 3787: Doing Business in Europe (3 hours): Business in Europe - in conjunction with company and European Institution visits. The course covers Managing Arts Organizations, Competing in the global marketplace, Marketing in Europe, and Managing the Cultural Differences in the European Context
French Language (Beginner’s & Intermediate) - 1.5 credits. While not required, the French language courses are a highly recommended option and could be taken for credit. EMS will host these classes because they feel strongly that students should acquire knowledge, or further knowledge of France, its language and culture during their stay. Topics include French Society and French Ideas and Mentalities.
Past corporate or institutional immersion visits have included:
- Smart France – Hambach, France
- Mercedes Corporate Headquarters & visit of the museum – Stuttgart, Germany
- Mars Chocolat– Haguenau, France
- Steelcase Worklab – Schiltigheim France
- The Kronenbourg Brewery – Strasbourg, France
- WeberHaus – Rheinau-Linx, Germany
- ADI (Alsace Development International) – Strasbourg, France
- Wine and Production Industry – Alsace, France
- The European Parliament – Strasbourg, France
- The Council of Europe – Strasbourg, France
- The European Court of Human Rights – Strasbourg, France
- The European Central Bank or the Deutsche Bank – Frankfurt, Germany
Housing: La Marne (near the school) Reservations will be made accordingly. Close to tram stop and very close to the school.
Activities and Programs: In the past, EM Strasbourg Business School has hosted cultural activities including a guided walking tour of Strasbourg’s old center and the Cathedral as well as a boat tour around the city of Strasbourg. The school also hosts a welcoming dinner, a farewell dinner, and a luncheon in the companies. Additional activities have included:
- Two dinners hosted by the school in some charming Alsatian Restaurants
- A visit of an 18th century castle (Haut Koenigsbourg) in the Vosges mountains
- A visit of a winery including a wine-tasting session
- A visit of the city of Strasbourg
Website / Brochure: For a program brochure click here
Estimated Costs: To view additional cost details click here
Cost Estimates for 2013*
Use the Budget Worksheet to compare the below cost to your personal budget or living on campus at UMSL.
|Books and course materials
|Mandatory HTH insurance
|Meals & Personal Expenses
* UMSL tuition fees are based on 6 undergraduate credit hours at the 2013/14 rate - 2014/15 tuition rate TBA April 2014. Non-resident fees may apply.
* Airline estimate based off of online search.
* Please note that expenses are ESTIMATES. Costs vary depending on the exchange rate, the inflation rate, individual spending habits, and amount of extra travel. The cost estimate above does not include visa expenses, personal expenses, independent travel, which vary widely from student to student.
* Program information is subject to change.