Location: Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic
Dates: Two weeks May - June, 2015
Course: Spanish 1199, 2199, or 3199* Special Topics: Language Immersion (3 credits)
*with consent of instructor
Faculty Director:Liz Fonseca, Professor of Spanish
Course Description: Spanish classes and lectures at a local language academy, the Community Service Alliance (CSA). Students will live with a host family in Santo Domingo, one of the oldest and most beautiful capitals in the Americas. This trip includes two weeks of housing and meals with a host family in Santo Domingo.
Excursions: Students will participate in a two-day overnight excursion to Saona Island and the Fun Fun Caves (2014 Excursions, 2015 Excursions TBA)
Housing: The homestay families are carefully selected for their hospitality, friendliness and warmth. They all offer clean lodging in safe neighborhoods. These families are very familiar with hosting American students, and do so throughout the year. They will NOT speak to you in English, but they will try to make you feel welcome and help you develop your Spanish skills!
Application Deadline: February 16, 2015
Eligibility Requirements for UMSL students:UMSL Study Abroad Eligibility Requirements.This program welcomes undergraduates, graduate students, and life-long learners.
|Tuition (3 credits, 2013-2014 rates)||$950|
|Meals & Personal Expenses||$300|
*Subject to change. Non-credit fee: $840
Program Fee includes •Roundtrip airfare, health insurance, accomodations with a Dominican family, three meals per day, all excursions, in-country transportation, country entry and exit fees.
Not Included in the Fees •Personal expenses (estimate $300 depending on personal habits), passport
Application and Deposit Deadline: February 16
Acceptance Documents Deadline: March 6
Remaining Program Fee Deadline: March 6
Online Orientation Completion: March 6
Mandatory SA In Person Oriention: 2-4 pm on a Friday in early April
Mandatory Program Orientation: TBA
For Additional Information:
Liz Fonseca, Assistant Teaching Professor of Spanish (email@example.com, 314-516-6865)
Nate Daugherty, Study Abroad Coordinator; (firstname.lastname@example.org, 314-516-5229)
Scholarships: available through International Studies and Programs for all accepted UMSL full-time, degree-seeking students with a 2.75 GPA or above.
Students will need to submit the following documents to the Study Abroad Office. Forms are available online.
1. Fill out the Study Abroad Application Form
2. Non-refundable*** $500 deposit (due at time of application - check payable to UMSL)
3. Scholarship application and scholarship essay (UMSL students only/optional)
4. Non-UMSL applicants are required to submit a $100 application fee. The application fee is payable by check or money order to 'UMSL'.
5. Non-UMSL students must also submit a letter of recommendation and transcript
Application and non-refundable deposit are due by February 16.
Mandatory Pre-Departure Orientation:
Faculty-led program participants are required to complete the online study abroad orientation, which covers health and safety topics, culture shock, and much more. Participants may or may not have to attend an in-person orientation; you will be notified by the program coordinator via e-mail regarding the specific requirements for your program. Non-UM-St. Louis students residing in the St. Louis area are welcome to attend. Please notify the Study Abroad Office if you will be attending so that we may send you a parking permit and directions, details and location.
Important Information Regarding Fees and Registration:
There are two fees for faculty-led programs:Tuition and Program Fee. Each fee must be paid separately.
1. Program fees must be paid by check or money order made out to UMSL and sent or brought to the Study Abroad Office. Credit cards are NOT accepted for program fees.
2. Tuition will be billed to your student account by the Cashier's Office after registration is complete. Non-UMSL credit participants will be notified via e-mail by the Study Abroad Office as to how they can make payments online or through the Cashier's Office. If not participating for credit, the non-credit fee is payable by check made out to UMSL and must be sent to the Study Abroad Office.
Registration Instructions will be sent to you via e-mail by the Study Abroad Coordinator. DO NOT TRY TO REGISTER WITHOUT RECEIVING INFORMATION FROM THE STUDY ABROAD OFFICE ABOUT THE CORRECT PROCEDURE FOR YOUR PROGRAM.
* Additional spots may be made available. This program requires a minimum number of participants for the program to be viable. Should that number not be reached, applicants will be contacted to discuss alternative opportunities.
** UMSL reserves the right to revise the program fee if there are fluctuations in the exchange rate and departure fees. Participants are responsible for any increase in rates.
***Deposit will be refunded only if you are not selected to participate in the program or the program is cancelled by behalf of the university.