This program alternates summers with the Japan Study Tour. The China Study Tour is offered next in Summer 2015.
ADDITIONAL SCHOLARSHIPS AVAILABLE THROUGH THE INTERNATIONAL BUSINESS INSTITUTE!
Location: Beijing, Nanjing, Hangzhou and Shanghai, China
Course: BA 3283 International Business and Society (3 credit hours)
Dates: June 2 (depart for Beijing) - June 16, 2015.
Participants are responsible for their own airfare and should plan to will fly into Beijing and fly out of Shanghai. Participants may wish to extend time in China by arranging trips to other areas.
Professors: Hung-Gay Fung
Course Description: The purpose of the study tour is to explore and appreciate the business and cultural environment of China, to gain a deeper understanding of how business people do business in China, to meet with Chinese leaders of government, business, and educators, and to have cultural experiences in a Chinese environment. Participants of the two-week program will travel to Beijing, Nanjing, Hangzhou and Shanghai to study the business and cultural environment of these cities. Students will stay in 3-star hotels with a roommate of the same gender (i.e. 2 students per room).
The trip includes visits to the Great Wall, Summer Palace, and the Forbidden City.
Eligibility Requirements:UMSL Study Abroad Eligibility Requirements.This program welcomes undergraduates, graduate students, and life-long learners.
|Tuition (3 credits, 2014-2015 rates)||$950|
|Meals & Personal Expenses||$500|
*Subject to change. Non-credit fee: $840
Program Fee Includes • international health insurance • accomodations with shared occupancy • all meals • transportation within China • museum and tour entrance fees • lectures, company, and factory visits • visits to historical sites • entry visa for China • welcome and farewell dinners
Not Included in the Fees • round trip airfare (estimate: $1700, St. Louis- Beijing, Shanghai-St. Louis) • personal expenses (estimate $500 depending on personal habits)• passport costs
You may apply for a passport in the Office of International Studies and Programs Passport Application Acceptance Facility on UMSL's campus.
Sample Itinerary (subject to change)
Day 1 - Beijing - Arrival and welcome dinner
Day 2 - Beijing - Visit the Summer Palace, Great Wall, and Culture Appreciation
Day 3 - Beijing - Visit the Forbidden City, Tiananmen Square, Bird's Nest Stadium, and Gongfu Tea Ceremony
Day 4 - Beijing - Institution visits and lectures (Enterprise Bank & BIT)
Day 5 - Beijing - Visit the Capitol Museum, shopping. Night train to Nanjing.
Day 6 - 8 - Nanjing - Tour local businesses, parks & gardens, museums, lectures on China
Day 9 - Hangzhou City - Visit Westlake, Depart for Shanghai, Shanghai Huangpu River Night Cruise
Day 10 - Day 13 - Shanghai - Tour of Shanghai and shopping
Day 14 - Departure
Application and Deposit Deadline: February 16
Additional Documents Deadline: March 6
Remaining Program Fee Deadline: March 6
Online Orientation Completion: March 6
Mandatory In Person Oriention: 2-4 pm on a Friday in early April
Applicants must submit the following documents to the Study Abroad Office. Forms are available online only.
1. UMSL Study Abroad Application Form
2. Non-refundable** $500 deposit (due at time of application)
3. Scholarship application and scholarship essay (UMSL students only)
4. Non-UMSL applicants are required to submit a $100 application fee. The application fee is separate from the program fee and is payable by check or money order to 'UMSL'.
5. Non-UMSL students must also submit a letter of recommendation and transcript.
University of Missouri-St. Louis
Study Abroad Office, 261 MSC
Attn: China Study Program
One University Blvd.
St. Louis, MO 63121
Application and non-refundable deposit of $500 are due by February 16.
Mandatory Pre-Departure Orientation:
Faculty-led program participants are required to complete the online study abroad orientation, which covers health and safety topics, culture shock, and much more. Participants may or may not have to attend an in-person orientation; you will be notified by the program coordinator via e-mail regarding the specific requirements for your program. Non-UMSL students residing in the St. Louis area are welcome to attend. Please notify the Study Abroad Office if you will be attending so that we may send you a parking permit and directions. Details and location.
Important Information Regarding Fees and Registration:
There are two fees for faculty-led programs:Tuition and Program Fee. Each fee must be paid separately.
1. Program fees must be paid by check or money order made payable to 'UMSL' and submitted to the Study Abroad Office. Credit cards are NOT accepted for program fees.
2. Tuition will be billed to your student account by the Cashier's Office after registration is complete. Non-UMSL credit participants will be notified via e-mail by the Study Abroad Office as to how they can make payments online or through the Cashier's Office. If not participating for credit, the non-credit fee is payable by check or money order made payable to 'UMSL' and must be sent to the Study Abroad Office.
Registration instructions will be sent to you via e-mail by the Study Abroad Coordinator. DO NOT TRY TO REGISTER WITHOUT RECEIVING INFORMATION FROM THE STUDY ABROAD OFFICE ABOUT THE CORRECT PROCEDURE FOR YOUR PROGRAM.
* UMSL reserves the right to revise the program fee if there are fluctuations in the exchange rate. Participants are responsible for any increase in rates.
**Deposit will be refunded only if you are not selected to participate in the program or if the program is cancelled.