Study Spanish in Barcelona
University of Missouri-St. Louis Faculty-Led Program
What students are saying about the Barcelona Study Abroad Program:
"This program was very helpful in improving my confidence with my language skills." 2011 Participant
"¡Estoy en Bar-th-elona, en España! Puedo ver el Mar Mediterráneo y las montañas de mi residencia. ¡Qué bonita!" 2011 Participant
Read about LaMonica's experience in Summer 2013.
This program is open to UMSL and non-UMSL undergraduate and graduate students. Students will choose between those two tracks of study. The course is two weeks with instruction at a local institution. Eligibility Requirements: UMSL Study Abroad Eligibility Requirements
Location: Barcelona, Spain
Dates: May 31-June 15, 2014 with a possibility for two extra weeks at UAB
Students should plan to depart the U.S. on Friday, May 30 to arrive in Barcelona on Saturday, May 31.
Course: Three credit hours in Spanish (undergraduate or graduate) Please see tracks below to view specific course offerings.
Students will stay in accommodations at Residencia Agora with other students of the same gender. Accommodation includes daily towel change with room cleaning and half board (breakfast and dinner included).
Faculty Director: Dr. Deborah Baldini
Course Description: The University of Missouri-St. Louis offers a two-week long Spanish language program in one of the largest cultural hubs in Spain. With its wealth of unique historic architecture and rich cultural heritage, Barcelona is an ideal location to gain firsthand knowledge of the society and culture of Spain. The program will also include tours of museums and major sites of interests, include visits to the works of Antoni Gaudi and Sagrada Familia.
Sample Itinerary (subject to change)
Day 1 - Arrival - Afternoon walking tour of Las Ramblas, Boqueria Market
Day 2 - First day of class, Tour of campus
Day 3 - Morning Class - Afternoon city scavenger hunt
Day 4 - Morning Class - Afternoon walking tour of Barrio Gotico, Barcelona Cathedral
Day 5 - Morning Class - Afternoon Picasso Museum visit
Day 6 - Morning Class - Afternoon free
Day 7 - Free Day (independent travel, beach time, suggest vists to Sitges & Parc Guell)
Day 8 - Free Day
Day 9 - Morning Class - Afternoon La Sagrada Familia
Day 10 - Morning Class - Afternoon free
Day 11 - Morning Class - Afternoon walking tour - Calle de la Discordia, La Pedrera
Day 12 - Morning Class - Afternoon free
Day 13 - Morning Class - Afternoon free - Evening farewell dinner
Day 14 - Free Day
Day 15 - Departure
Tuition & Technology Fee for 3 credit hours (2012 rate; 2013 rates TBA April 2013)
Program Fee: $1,975
Includes • Health Insurance • Accomodations at Residencia Agora • Two meals a day at Residencia Agora • Books and Materials • Tours and Museums Entrances • Transit Card • Farewell Dinner
* Not Included in the Fees • Round trip Airfare (estimated around $1,400) • Some Meals • Personal Expenses (estimated around $750.00 depending on personal habits)
• Passport Costs (You may apply for a passport on UMSL's campus! Check out the Passport Application Acceptance Facility)
|Track One: Undergraduate
|Course: Three credit hours in Undergraduate Spanish will be earned for one of the following courses, depending on student's level:
Spanish 2199 - Special Topics: Language Immersion
Spanish 3199 - Special Topics: Language Immersion
Spanish 4199 - Special Topics: Language Immersion
Prerequisite: Spanish 2101 or equivalent
|Track Two: Graduate
|Spanish 5199: Intensive Advanced Immersion Experience
Designed for in-service and pre-service/post baccalaureate foreign language teachers, this course focuses specifically on enhancing oral proficiency in the target language and enriching cultural knowledge for purposes of classroom language instruction. Please speak with Deborah Baldini (firstname.lastname@example.org, 314-516-5911) to inquire about the graduate course.
For additional information, please contact:
Dr. Deborah Baldini, Faculty Director (email@example.com 314-516-5911)
Nate Daugherty, Study Abroad Coordinator (firstname.lastname@example.org, 314-516-6497)
Application and Deposit Deadline: February 6, 2014
Additional Documents Deadline: TBA
Remaining Program Fee Deadline: TBA
Online Orientation Completion: TBA
Mandatory In Person Oriention: TBA
Please review the Faculty Led Application Instructions: Students must submit the following documents to the Study Abroad Office. Forms are available online only.
1. UMSL Study Abroad Faculty Led Application Form
2. Non-refundable*** $500 deposit (due at time of application)
3. Non-UMSL applicants are required to submit a $100 application fee. The application fee is payable by check or money order to 'UMSL'.
4. Scholarship application and scholarship essay (UMSL students only)
5. One ID-sized photo
6. Non-UMSL students must also submit a letter of recommendation and transcript.
Application and non-refundable deposit of $500 are due by February 6, 2014.
Mandatory Pre-Departure Orientation:
Faculty-led program participants are required to complete the online study abroad orientation, which covers health and safety topics, culture shock, and much more. Participants may or may not have to attend an in-person orientation; you will be notified by the program coordinator via e-mail regarding the specific requirements for your program. Non-UM-St. Louis students residing in the St. Louis area are welcome to attend. Please notify the Study Abroad Office if you will be attending so that we may send you a parking permit and directions. Details and location.
Important Information Regarding Fees and Registration:
There are two fees for faculty-led programs:Tuition and Program Fee. Each fee must be paid separately.
1. Program fees must be paid by check or money order made out to UMSL and sent or brought to the Study Abroad Office. Credit cards are NOT accepted for program fees.
2. Tuition will be billed to your student account by the Cashier’s Office after registration is complete. Non-UMSL credit participants will be notified via e-mail by the Study Abroad Office as to how they can make payments online or through the Cashier’s Office. If not participating for credit, the non-credit fee is payable by check made out to UMSL and must be sent to the Study Abroad Office.
Registration Instructions will be sent to you via e-mail by the Study Abroad Coordinator. DO NOT TRY TO REGISTER WITHOUT RECEIVING INFORMATION FROM THE STUDY ABROAD OFFICE ABOUT THE CORRECT PROCEDURE FOR YOUR PROGRAM.
* UMSL reserves the right to revise the program fee if there are fluctuations in the exchange rate. Participants are responsible for any increase in rates.
**Deposit will be refunded only if you are not selected to participate in the program.