Study Design in Amsterdam!
Check out what the tour is up to -
Dutch Poster Design Blog and Designer's Guide - Amsterdam
Location: Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Course: ST ART 3312 Special Topics: Dutch Poster Design
Dates: June 18 - July 2, 2013 with a week silkscreening in St. Louis upon return
Professor: Jennifer McKnight
In the Netherlands design is a normal part of everyday life. The money you spend, the telephone cards you insert into public phones, the tax forms you fill out, the trains you ride in, the signs you encounter on the roads, the uniforms of the police officers, the posters for cultural events, and the logos of major corporations all speak of the carefully considered application of notions of proportion, color coordination, functionalism, material expression, composition, and typography. Everything makes sense, everything works, and the world around you has an appearance of rationality that you would not encounter anyplace else.— Aaron Betsky (author, Beyond Beauty, Dutch Made Normal)
During this class, we will visit design collections in Amsterdam’s museums, visit several Dutch design firms in Amsterdam and study and collect Holland’s “street” graphics in class journals, with particular emphasis on Holland’s amazing poster design. Using our experiences, students will design and print posters when we return using the UMSL silkscreen shop for a group exhibit recording Amsterdam design culture.
Prerequisites: Basic knowledge of graphic design and proficiency in Adobe Photoshop and illustrator, or permission of instructor.
Eligibility Requirements: UMSL Study Abroad Eligibility Requirements
|Tuition (3 credits, 2013-2014 rates)
|Meals & Personal Expenses
*Costs are estimates and subject to change. New tuition rates are posted in April of each year. Non Credit Fee: $840.00
Program Fee Includes • international health insurance • accomodations in shared rooms • two meals per day • some tram rides • museum card for most museums in Amsterdam • visits to local design firms • workshop and tour of Breda Graphic Design Museum • visit to Utrecht • visit to Rotterdam • farewell dinner • use of screenprinting studio at UMSL with Professor McKnight upon return
Not Included in the Fees • roundtrip airfare (estimate $1500) • daily lunch
• personal expenses ($500 estimate depending on personal habits) • passport costs
(You may apply for a passport in the Office of International Studies and Programs Passport Application Acceptance Facility on UMSL's campus.)
For Additional Information:
Jennifer McKnight; Studio Art (firstname.lastname@example.org • 314-516-6965)
Nate Daugherty; Study Abroad Coordinator (email@example.com • 314-516-6497)
Application and Deposit Deadline: February 4, 2013
Acceptance Documents Deadline: TBA
Program Fee Balance Deadline: TBA
Online Orientation Completion: TBA
Mandatory In Person Oriention: TBA
Applicants must submit the following documents to the Study Abroad Office. Forms are available online only.
1. UMSL Study Abroad Application Form
2. Non-refundable** $500 deposit (due at time of application)
3. Scholarship application and scholarship essay (UMSL students only)
4. Non-UMSL applicants are required to submit a $100 application fee. The application fee is separate from the program fee and payable by check or money order to 'UMSL'.
5. Non-UMSL students must also submit a letter of recommendation and transcript.
University of Missouri-St. Louis
Study Abroad Office, 261 MSC
Attn: Dutch Poster Design
One University Blvd.
St. Louis, MO 63121
Application and non-refundable deposit of $500 are due by February 4, 2013.
Mandatory Pre-Departure Orientation:
Faculty-led program participants are required to complete the online study abroad orientation, which covers health and safety topics, culture shock, and much more. Participants may or may not have to attend an in-person orientation; you will be notified by the program coordinator via e-mail regarding the specific requirements for your program. Non-UM-St. Louis students residing in the St. Louis area are welcome to attend. Please notify the Study Abroad Office if you will be attending so that we may send you a parking permit and directions. Details and location.
Important Information Regarding Fees and Registration:
There are two fees for faculty-led programs:Tuition and Program Fee. Each fee must be paid separately.
1. Program fees must be paid by check or money order made payable to 'UMSL' and submitted to the Study Abroad Office. Credit cards are NOT accepted for program fees.
2. Tuition will be billed to your student account by the Cashier’s Office after registration is complete. Non-UMSL credit participants will be notified via e-mail by the Study Abroad Office as to how they can make payments online or through the Cashier’s Office. If not participating for credit, the non-credit fee is payable by check or money order to 'UMSL' and must be submitted to the Study Abroad Office. Studio Art lab fees do apply.
Registration instructions will be sent to you via e-mail by the Study Abroad Coordinator. DO NOT TRY TO REGISTER WITHOUT RECEIVING INFORMATION FROM THE STUDY ABROAD OFFICE ABOUT THE CORRECT PROCEDURE FOR YOUR PROGRAM.
* UMSL reserves the right to revise the program fee if there are fluctuations in the exchange rate. Participants are responsible for any increase in rates.
**Deposit will be refunded only if you are not selected to participate in the program or if the program is cancelled.