Location: Tokyo, Japan, Asisa
Program Type: UMSL Exchange Program.
Special Notes: Students pay UMSL tuition plus a program fee. See cost information below.
Language of Instruction: English and Japanese
UMSL Term Abroad: Summer. Students can also participate on semester or year exchange at this institution.
Approximate or Known Dates Abroad:
May 24 - June 30, 2014 (dates for 2015 coming soon)
Important Dates: Regular Application Deadline
- Languages - Japanese
Program: The J. F. Oberlin Summer Intensive Japanese Program is a onemonth contentbased language program at J. F. Oberlin University in the suburbs of Tokyo, Japan.
Academics: Upper beginning and Intermediate classes meet three hours every morning, five days a week. In addition, students will expand their language by participating in cultural activities that include taiko drumming, cooking, calligraphy, and tea ceremony two afternoons a week. On other afternoons teachers may be available in the resource center to answer questions. Lectures on Japanese history, social issues, and crosscultural communication are planned.
Activities and Programs: An excursion into downtown Tokyo and to the historical city of Kamakura are planned to acquaint students with the transportation system. After that, students are expected to plan their own excursions at their own expense to visit places that interest them. Students will be provided with Japanese student 'buddy groups' to help them understand Japanese college life, practice their Japanese, make friends, and share interests.
Summer School Website: http://www.obirin-gakuen.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/A4-summer-2014-71813.pdf
Program Fee: Students pay UMSL tuition to UMSL and program fee to JF Oberlin.
Program Fee & Housing Includes:
Japanese languageand culture classes with guest speakers
- Housing with bedding
- Transportation and other costs for two excursions
- Weekend host family
- Airport pickup/return.
Cost Estimates for 2013*
Use the Budget Worksheet to compare the below cost to your personal budget or living on campus at UMSL.
|Tuition (3 undergraduate hour)||$1,895|
|Books and course materials||$10|
|Mandatory HTH insurance||$70|
|Meals & Personal Expenses||$600|
* UMSL tuition fees are based on 6 undergraduate credit hours at the 2014/15 rate - 2015/16 tuition rate TBA in April. Non-resident fees may apply.
* Airline estimate based off of online search.
* Please note that expenses are ESTIMATES. Costs vary depending on the exchange rate, the inflation rate, individual spending habits, and amount of extra travel. The cost estimate above does not include visa expenses, personal expenses, independent travel, which vary widely from student to student.
* Program information is subject to change.