Short-Term Study Abroad Opportunities: Summer & Winter Intersession Programs
There are many options for short-term programs to study abroad! We have these program options to choose from:
Faculty-Led Summer Programs
Additional Summer Program Options (Exchange Partner and Non-Faculty-Led Programs)
Faculty-Led Winter Intersession Programs
Non-UMSL Program Options
Please note: Programs marked with plus sign (+) are also open to non-University of Missouri-St. Louis students and community members. All other programs are open only to University of Missouri-St. Louis students. _______________________________________________________________
Faculty-Led Summer Programs: These programs are led by UMSL professors and provide wonderfully guided experiences abroad for the novice or even well-travelled student. These programs consist of UMSL students as well as non-UMSL or community members. Students attend classes, lectures, events, and enjoy culture activities while abroad.
CHINA: CHINA STUDY PROGRAM +
FRANCE: STRASBOURG FRENCH LANGUAGE PROGRAM +
ENGLAND: MISSOURI LONDON PROGRAM +
GREECE: IKLAINA ARCHAEOLOGICAL PROJECT +
IRELAND: IRISH STUDIES IN GALWAY, IRELAND +
THE NETHERLANDS: DUTCH POSTER DESIGN IN AMSTERDAM +
SPAIN: STUDY SPANISH IN BARCELONA, SPAIN +
GERMANY: STUDY BUSINESS IN BREMEN +
Future Faculty-Led Summer Programs:
ITALY: ITALY STUDY TOUR, Winter 2014
JAPAN: JAPAN STUDY TOUR +
When: Summer 2014
Additional summer options through UMSL exchange universities
(Please check each program for fees, dates, and other information). Updated Jan. 2012
- AUSTRIA: Vienna University of Economics and Business Administration
- AUSTRIA, CZECH REPUBLIC, or FINLAND: International Summer Schools (Utrecht Network)
- BELGIUM: University of Antwerp Languages - Dutch, French & Spanish
- DENMARK: Aarhus University
- ESTONIA: University of Tartu
- FINLAND: University of Helsinki non-exchange, fee paying
- FRANCE: ESSCA European Business and Politics in Angers, Brussels, and Paris
- FRANCE: Universite des Sciences et Technologies de Lille
- GERMANY: Stuttgart Summer University in Germany German Language plus choose between European Art History, 20th Century Architecture, Cross Cultural Communication, Transportation and Urban Planning, & International Business
- GERMANY: German Language, Business, and Law in Bremen, Germany
- HUNGARY: Eötvös Loránd University Hungarian Language & Culture, Health & Technology
- IRELAND - National University of Ireland, Cork - non-exchange, fee paying
- ITALY: Università di Bologna Language & Culture - non-exchange, fee paying
- JAPAN: J.F.Oberlin University Intensive Japanese
- KOREA: Korea University Summer Campus
- LATVIA: University of Latvia Language or Cognitive Science
- LITHUANIA: Vilnius University
- NETHERLANDS: Utrecht University non-exchange, fee paying
- POLAND: Jagiellonian University in Krakow Polish Language & Culture, Unity & Diversity
- PORTUGAL: Universidade de Coimbra
- ROMANIA: Alexandru Ioan Cuza University Language & Civilization
- SWITZERLAND: Universität Basel Nursing Science. Law and Economics, Cultural Studies, History, etc.
- TAIWAN: National Taiwan Normal University Taiwan Culture/Chinese Language
Waiting on updates from partner institutions:
(Please check the host university or company coordinating the program for fees, dates, and other information). Application deadline to apply through UMSL to study abroad on a non-UMSL program is: Feb. 14 (*Please note: there may be a different deadline for the actual program. Please be sure to meet both deadlines. You must apply through UMSL to study abroad, IN ADDITION to applying through the host university).
Click here for more information regarding applying for a non-UMSL program
Faculty-Led Winter Intersession 2013 Programs: These group programs are led by UMSL professors.
Please note that the University of Missouri System does not support any programs to countries for which the U.S. Department of State has issued Travel Warnings. According to the U.S. Department of State, "Travel Warnings are issued when the State Department recommends that Americans avoid a certain country." In an effort to ensure the health, safety, and security of its students and constituents, the University of Missouri adheres to these recommendations. If a student or constituent chooses to study in one of these countries against the advice of the University, he or she must take a leave of absence and will not have access to university support, resources, or facilities during that time.
Mandatory Pre-Departure Orientation:
All program participants are required to complete the online study abroad orientation, which covers health and safety topics, culture shock, and much more. Participants may or may not be required to attend an in-person orientation depending on your program; you will be notified by the program coordinator via e-mail regarding the specific requirements for your program. Non-UMSL students residing in the St. Louis area are welcome to attend. Please notify the Study Abroad Office if you will be attending so that we may send you a parking permit and directions.
Details and location.
*IMPORTANT INFORMATION REGARDING FEES AND REGISTRATION:
There are two fees for faculty-led programs: program fee and tuition/technology fee. Each fee must be paid separately.
1. Program fees must be paid by check or money order made payable to UMSL and sent or brought to the Study Abroad Office. Credit cards are NOT accepted for program fees.
2. Tuition/technology fees will be billed to your student account by the Cashier's Office after registration is complete. Non-UMSL credit participants will be notified via e-mail by the Study Abroad Office as to how they can make payments online or through the Cashier's Office.
N.B. If not participating for credit, the non-credit fee is payable by check made out to UMSL and must be sent to the Study Abroad Office.
Registration instructions will be sent to you via e-mail by the Study Abroad Coordinator. DO NOT TRY TO REGISTER WITHOUT RECEIVING INFORMATION FROM THE STUDY ABROAD OFFICE ABOUT THE CORRECT PROCEDURE FOR YOUR PROGRAM.