Study Abroad Eligibility Requirements
Because we want you to get the most out of your experience while abroad, it's important you meet our eligibility requirements:
Academic & Disciplinary Standing
- Good Academic Standing
- Good Disciplinary Standing
- If you are on probation or under sanction at the time of application, your disciplinary status will be taken into account in determining your eligibility to participate in a program. Should you incur a disciplinary sanction after being accepted but prior to departure for the program, it may result in withdrawal of support for your participation in the program.
- Foreign language or other coursework prerequisites may apply for some select programs.
- Semester/year exchange program - UMSL cumulative GPA of 2.75 (some exchange programs may require a 3.0 minimum GPA).
- Semester/year - you must be a degree-seeking student.
- Short-term faculty-led program - UMSL cumulative GPA of 2.5.
- Check the specific program for exact requirements.
- Students who do not meet the UMSL GPA requirements may apply for non-UMSL programs but must meet all other eligibility requirements.
- Semester exchange program students are required to have completed at least one semester of full-time coursework at UMSL prior to applying. This ensures a full semester of UMSL grades to be listed on your transcript providing you with an UMSL cumulative GPA. Most semester programs are designed for undergraduate students who are in their junior or senior year of study. This requirement also ensures that students have the basic prerequisites for many overseas universities. (*Some universities accept graduate or sophomore students, depending on the discipline.)
UMSL students who do not meet the general UMSL eligibility requirements to apply for/participate in an UMSL study abroad program may complete the Appeal Process. By submitting an appeal you are in no way guaranteed acceptance into any program. If your appeal is denied, we highly recommend you work to meet all requirements and re-apply in a future term. All appeal materials and due two weeks prior to the program's regular deadline.
- Students from other universities may apply for UMSL study abroad semester programs in London, Ghana, Greece and most short-term faculty-led programs. Non-UMSL students are not eligible to apply for an appeal.
If you have any questions about your eligibility, consult with a study abroad coordinator.