New Student Experience Overview
About New Student Programs
New Student Orientation
International Student Orientation
Triton Overnight Experience
ALEKS Placement Testing
Parent and Family Programs
Parent and Family Orientation
First Year Parents
Communication and Publications
Weeks of Welcome
Exploring St. Louis
Students Who Are Parents
On Campus Services
WOW Crew Leaders
Faculty & Staff
Whether you use a digital camera, smart phone, or even a disposable camera, taking pictures can help make your memories last. The New Student Photo Project is a way for new students to share what they experience during their first semester at UMSL. Starting with move-in day and continuing through the first six weeks of programming during Weeks of Welcome. The Office of New Student Programs will announce a new theme for the Photo Project through our Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram pages. Photos will be printed and displayed in Gallery Visio located in the Millennium Student Center in October. Students who submit one picture for each theme, will have an opportunity to win a grand prize that will be announced at the Art Opening Event. Must be present at Art Opening in order to win the grand prize.
How to Submit Your Pictures
We will begin accepting submissions on August 22, 2014 – Saturday, October 4, 2014.
Follow us on:
Facebook: UMSL New Student Programs
Twitter: UMSL New Student
To submit your pictures, please post pictures on our Facebook page, Instagram or Twitter making sure to add: #umslphotoproject2014 and what theme your picture is submitted.
Weekly Themes for Photo Submissions
Below are the weekly themes and topics for students to submit photos. In an effort to assist in taking the photos, we have also added questions to help you reflect and provide ideas to capture through pictures.
August 22-30, 2014 Theme 1: Who You Are (#whouare)
- What things, people, locations, ect. describe who you are?
- If you can only describe to me who you are through photos, what would you show me?
August 31-September 6, 2014 Theme 2: First Days (#firstdays)
- Take photos of the routine you are developing.
- Events you are attending like Move-In, Weeks of Welcome, or specific campus events
- Does your new resident hall room look and feel like a home?
- New people and things you come to contact with.
September 7-September 13, 2014 Theme 3: Confidence and Anxiety (#confidence)
- What have you been your biggest challenges during your first three weeks?
- What have been your biggest triumphs?
- What resource on campus have you used?
September 14-September 20, 2014 Theme 4: Show your Triton Spirit (#Tritonspirit)
- What is your favorite Triton attire?
- Have you attended any UMSL sporting events?
September 21-September 27, 2014 Theme 5: Selfie with UMSL staff or faculty member (#selfie)
- Who has been a helpful resource or supporter during your time at UMSL?
- Is there a professor that encourages and gets you excited about learning and preparing you for your career field?
September 28-October 4, 2014 Theme 6: UMSL Experience Reflection (#umslexperience)
- After six weeks as a college student, what advice would you give to future new students?
- Do you have a favorite study location?
- What has been your favorite experience so far?
Keep in mind when submitting pictures:
¨ You don’t need any special skills or experience to take great pictures. This is your opportunity to tell a story about your time at UMSL.
¨ Your pictures should adhere to the current theme or topic or a previous theme. Specify the theme for which you would like your submission to be considered.
¨ If possible, submit images that are high quality so that they can be reproduced easily. Pictures copied from Facebook and other online sources are typically of lower quality and tend to appear pixelated or blurry when printed.
¨ By submitting your pictures, you are consenting the Office of New Student Programs, Gallery Visio, and the University of Missouri-St. Louis can potentially use or edit the images for future publications, media, and other means at their discretion without additional notice or consent.
¨ While we want you to submit pictures that represent various aspects of your life at UMSL, we will not display any pictures that depict illegal activities including, but not limited to, underage drinking, illegal drug use, vandalism, or other criminal behaviors. Additionally, we cannot accept pictures for which you do not own the rights and permissions.