We know the transition to college can be difficult, so to make it easier we have provided a checklist to help new parents and families get ready and know what’s going on at the University of Missouri-St. Louis!
New Parent and Family Checklist:
- Register for New Student Orientation and attend the separate Parent and Family Orientation
- Make a hotel reservation for your stay during Parent and Family Orientation
- Brainstorm a list of questions to ask at Orientation
- Contact the New Student Programs office if you have any special accommodations during Orientation
- Help your student complete the free application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA.edu.gov)
- Sign up to receive Parent and Family Programs E-Newsletters
- Talk to your student about expectations and other big issues. Make sure to include:
- Academic expectations
Explore the Parent and Family Programs website to learn about events like Family Weekend
- Time management
- Social involvement
- Safety and travel
- Alcohol and drugs
After Orientation Checklist: Resources and Powerpoints from Orientation.
Review your class schedule
Now that you have registered for your classes, it’s a good idea to review your schedule before you begin classes. Knowing your course outline and how each class fits into your degree plan is an essential part of graduating on time. Contact your academic advisor if you have any questions or need clarification on anything! Click on MyView to see your schedule.
Secure on-campus or off-campus housing
Whether it’s on-campus housing or an off-campus apartment, make sure you have a comfortable place to live. If you will be moving on-campus, be sure to consult your roommate as well as the University Housing guidelines before you make any purchases. Make sure to send your UMSL Residential Housing contract to confirm your room, and visit MyView, and then click the housing folder tab for additional information including move-in process, roommate information, and housing account.
Pay your tuition
Make sure your tuition is paid at the Cashier's Office or on MyView, before the payment deadline. See the Registrar’s website to learn more about paying your tuition and when it’s due.
Buy your textbooks at the UMSL Bookstore, To see which books you need for your classes, login to your MyView account and click on the UMSL Bookstore link below your class schedule.
Print Out an Academic Calendar
Use the UMSL Academic Calendar to be aware of payment deadlines, drop class dates, midterms, holidays, and final exam dates.
Mark your calendar and join us at the Weeks of Welcome (WOW) events!