Admitted? Confirm Enrollment
Triton Overnight Experience
Math Placement Testing
Summer Webinar Series
Parent and Family Programs
First Year Parents
Student Care Packages
Weeks of Welcome
Getting Around Campus
Tritonstore and Books
Eating on Campus
Commuting to Campus
Transfer Student Resources
Adult Learner and Parent Resources
One is Done Celebration
WOW Crew Leaders
Faculty & Staff
Transfer and Commuter Ambassadors
First Year Assessment
Communication & Publications
We know the transition to college can be difficult. You are not alone. New Student Programs is also committed in assisting new parents and family members to the Triton community. In order to make a smooth transition and to assist your student, we have specific resources and a seperate parent and family orientation program.
Our Parent and Family Orientation is designed to help families assist their student in developing expectations, academic pathways, and easing the transition to the university. The program is held during the New Student Orientation program, but it is separate from the student program.
The Parent and Family Orientation provides parents and guests with information and resources designed specifically for them. The parent and guest sessions include financial aid, housing, coping with the college transition, campus safety, and much more. There is even an optional campus tour so parents and guests can see what being a student at UMSL is all about.
To Sign Up for Parent & Family Orientation
To register for the Parent and Family Orientation, please have your student add you under "guest" on the online orientation reservation site. There is an additional $25 cost that includes breakfast, lunch, a copy of the Triton Manual booklet, National Parent and Family First Year Experience booklet, and future programming opportunities for our new UMSL parents and guests. *It is recommended to register for the Parent and Family Orientation prior to the day of the session. This will allow us to have a quicker check-in process, and have an accurate number for implementing our Orientation program.
Parent & Family Orientation: What To Expect
- LEARN about the educational opportunities available to your student.
- MEET your student's academic representative.
- ENGAGE in an overview of campus life.
- DISCUSS timely topics with campus representatives.
- MEET and share questions and concerns with other family members.
- BROWSE throughout the Resource Expo offering a myriad of opportunities around campus.
Parent and Family Scheduled Events:
- Letters From Home- Family members will have an opportunity to write a letter to their student that will be delivered during their first week of school.
- Campus Walk- Participants will enjoy a walking tour of north campus.
- Parent & Family Reception- Family members will gain an overview of bookstore essentials including textbooks, apparel and triton technology. UMSL Student Affairs senior administrators will be present to meet new UMSL parents and family members.
- Sign up for Parent/Family E-Newsletter
New Parent and Family Checklist:
- Register for New Student Orientation and attend the separate Parent and Family Orientation
- Make a hotel reservation for your stay during Parent and Family Orientation
- Brainstorm a list of questions to ask at Orientation
- Contact the New Student Programs office if you have any special accommodations during Orientation
- Help your student complete the free application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA.edu.gov)
- Sign up to receive Parent and Family Programs E-Newsletters
- Talk to your student about expectations and other big issues. Make sure to include:
- Academic expectations
- Time management
- Social involvement
- Safety and travel
- Alcohol and drugs
- Explore the Parent and Family Programs website to learn about events like Family Weekend
We have included some resources that will likely prove beneficial for you (and your family) during the upcoming transition. We hope that you will use these presentations throughout your student’s time here and contact us with any questions you may have.
|All Student Presentations|
|Transitions - Parent/Family Welcome Presentation|
|Family and Student Talking Worksheet (PDF)
|Breakout Afternoon Sessions|
|Inclusive Environment (PDF)|
|From College to Career (PDF)|