How Do I Find a Book?
To find a book you will need to search the Library Catalog.
Determine the Location, Call Number, and Status of the Book
- If you know the title of the book, you should do an Exact Title search.
- If you know the author of the book, you should do an Author search.
- If you are looking for a book on a particular topic, you should perform a Keyword search or a Subjects(Library of Congress) search.
- Location - The Location code corresponds to the building and floor where a book is shelved. Either click on the hyperlinked code for a location guide or use the guides posted around the library or at the Reference desk. (Campus maps)
TJ = Thomas Jefferson (North Campus)
BARNES = Ward E. Barnes (South Campus).
- Call # - once you know the building and floor where the book is located, you will need to have the call number of the book.
- Status - Check to see the current status of the item. If the item is available, this section will display "NOT CHECKED OUT". If the item is checked out, it will display "DUE:" with the due date.
| UMS TJ LEVEL 4
|| QA303 .G89
|| NOT CHECKD OUT
|STATE HISTORICAL SOCIETY - ST. LOUIS
|| Thomas Jefferson Library, Second Floor
|| Ward E. Barnes Library
|UMSL BARNES CLOSED STACK
|| Ward E. Barnes Library - Ask at the Desk
|UMSL MERC ... JWB RRL
UMSL MERC ... WTR WYS
| Thomas Jefferson Library, Second Floor
|UMSL TJ LEVEL 1
|| Thomas Jefferson Library, First Floor
|UMSL TJ LEVEL 4
|| Thomas Jefferson Library, Fourth Floor
|UMSL TJ REF
|| Thomas Jefferson Library, Third Floor (behind the computer lab)
|UMSL TJ REF DESK
Thomas Jefferson Library, Third Floor - Reference Desk
|UMSL TJ RESERVE
|| Thomas Jefferson Library, Third Floor - Circulation Desk
|UMSL TJ MICRO
UMSL TJ PER
UMSL TJ CP/M
| Thomas Jefferson Library, Fifth Floor
|UMSL TJ COM1 or COM2
UMSL TJ GOV DOCS
| Thomas Jefferson Library - Ask at the Reference Desk
If you have any questions, please ask at one of the Reference Desks or Ask A Librarian.