Ask A Librarian
Ask A Librarian
Cite Your Sources
I Need To ...
Using My Library Account
My Library Account
STL Area Libraries
By Subject & Type
Locate Journal Titles
Locate eBooks/Online Books
Recommended Web Sites
MERLIN / MOBIUS
Connecting to Library Resources
About the Libraries
Where is ...?
Giving to the University Libraries
Gifts to the Libraries
MERLIN & MOBIUS
Library Instruction Room
Finding Aids by Department or Campus Unit
St. Louis Mercantile Library
State Historical Society
State Historical Society of Missouri - St. Louis
- Library Research Commons (LRC): The LRC is one of the campus computing labs available to faculty, staff, students, and other authorized users. It is run by the Information Technology Services department and staffed by student consultants who can orient you about the available hardware and software and assist with many software issues. Users must log in using their SSO ID. Other computer labs are also available on campus. Check the ITS web page for details and lab hours.
- Wireless: The Thomas Jefferson and St. Louis Mercantile Libraries provide wireless internet accessibility for faculty, staff, students, and other authorized users. At this time, the wireless network is not available to the general public. Basic steps:
- Select the TritonNet wireless network.
- Open a web browser. It should go to the TritonNet registration page.
- Enter the information requested and submit it.
- Allow your computer/device to be scanned and cleared for access. It often helps to reboot your system at this point.
- If you have questions or need help, contact the Technology Support Center at (314) 516-6034, or consult their web page:TritonNet wireless.
- Other Library Computers: A few computers with restricted functionality are available in the lobby and elsewhere in the building. A limited number of these are available for use by the general public; current UMSL students, faculty and staff have priority. Printing is not available at these computers (UMSL students, faculty and staff can print in the LRC). Please ask at the Reference Desk if you have any questions.
- Other Campus Computers: Students can access library resources from other campus locations (labs, Millennium Student Center, etc.). Faculty and staff can use library resources from their office and department computers. Check the ITS web page for more for more details and lab hours.
The Library Catalogs are available to all through the Internet. Only current UM-St. Louis Students, Faculty, and Staff are eligible to access databases and other resources from off-campus. The two means of access are:
- VPN Server: UM-St. Louis Students, Faculty and Staff may use the TritonNet VPN Client to access library resources. When you are connected via the VPN Server, your computer will connect to resources as if you are on campus.
- Advantages: VPN is the most complete solution and provides reliable, secure, encrypted access. Works with nearly all resources.
- Disadvantage: Software needs to be installed on your computer.
- Proxy Server: UM-St. Louis Students, Faculty, and Staff may also remotely access online resources via our Proxy Server. If you try to connect to a database, e-book, or other online resource and you are connecting from off campus (not using the VPN), the proxy server will automatically ask for your SSO ID and password.
- Advantage: No additional software needs to be installed on your computer.
- Disadvantage: Works with many, but not all resources.Some resources cannot be accessed via the proxy server. In this case you will need to use the VPN or come to campus.
- For information about your SSO ID and password go to https://sso.umsl.edu/perl/index.pl.
- For questions about how to find information using library resources (databases, catalogs, books, articles, etc.) please ask a librarian for assistance.
- For help with your SSO ID/username, password, MyGateway, email or other campus computing issues, go to Information Technology Services or call the Help Desk at (314) 516-6034.