Ask A Librarian
Ask A Librarian
Cite Your Sources
I Need To ...
Using My Library Account
My Library Account
STL Area Libraries
By Subject & Type
Locate Journal Titles
Locate Online Books
Recommended Web Sites
MERLIN / MOBIUS
Reserve a Study Room
Connecting to Library Resources
About the Libraries
Where is ...?
Giving to the University Libraries
Frequently Asked Questions: Ward E. Barnes Library Closure
Gifts to the Libraries
MERLIN & MOBIUS
Library Instruction Room
Finding Aids by Department or Campus Unit
St. Louis Mercantile Library
State Historical Society
- Library Research Commons (LRC): The LRC is one of the campus computing labs available to faculty, staff, students, and other authorized users. It is run by the Information Technology Services department and staffed by student consultants who can orient you about the available hardware and software and assist with many software issues. Users must log in using their SSO ID. Other computer labs are also available on campus. Check the ITS web page for details and lab hours.
- Wireless: The Thomas Jefferson and St. Louis Mercantile Libraries provide wireless internet accessibility for faculty, staff, students, and other authorized users. At this time, the wireless network is not available to the general public. For more information, please see the TritonNet networking page. Power plugs are located throughout the libraries and in the TJ Café.
- A few wired computers (with limited functionality) are available in the lobby for use by the general public. Please ask at the Reference Desk if you have any questions.
- Other Campus Computers: Students can access library resources from other campus locations (labs, Millennium Student Center, etc.). Faculty and staff can use library resources from their office and department computers. Check the ITS web page for more details and lab hours.
The Library Catalogs are available to all through the World Wide Web. Only current UM-St. Louis Students, Faculty, and Staff are eligible to access databases and other resources from off-campus. The two means of access are:
- VPN Server: UM-St. Louis Students, Faculty and Staff may use the TritonNet VPN Client to access library resources. Once installed, the VPN is easy to use and provides a more secure, reliable and complete solution for remote access. When you are connected via the VPN Server, your computer will connect to resources as if you are on campus. To download the software go to: http://www.umsl.edu/technology/networking/TritonVPN/index.html. You will need your SSO ID to download and use the TritonNet AnyConnect VPN Client (to look up your ID go to https://sso.umsl.edu/perl/index.pl).
- Proxy Server: UM-St. Louis Students, Faculty, and Staff may also remotely access online resources via our Proxy Server. If you try to connect to a database, e-book, or other online resource and you are connecting from off campus (not using the VPN), the proxy server will automatically ask for your SSO ID and password.
However, some resources cannot be accessed via the proxy server. In this case you will need to use the VPN or come to campus. For information about your SSO ID and password go to https://sso.umsl.edu/perl/index.pl.