How to Apply
Funding Graduate School
UMSL ETD Info
Oral Defense Announcements
Frequently Asked Questions
Graduate Faculty Members
Graduate Program Directors
About the Graduate School
The purpose of this site is to assist with the final steps of completing your doctoral dissertation.
If you are a Master's student submitting a thesis, consult the UMSL Electronic Thesis and Dissertation page for more details on creating and submitting your ETD.
Dissertation ProceduresPrepare the Correct Formatting
- All Dissertations must have a 1 ½ inch margin on the left side. This is to accommodate any future binding of the thesis.
- All Dissertations title pages need to contain the information in the sample page - Word Template.
- A dissertation may have a second title page that follows the writing style used or academic unit convention.
- Signatures may not be submitted
- In matters of style and documentation, the custom of the discipline shall be followed.
Abstracts are required for all dissertations submitted to the Graduate School. The abstract for the Electronic Thesis and Dissertation site must be no longer than 350 words. The abstract in the body of the thesis has no word limit.
Schedule the Oral Defense
- Work with your committee to choose a date that is at least 3 weeks away.
- Schedule a room that is appropriate for the defense. Your committee chair, department assistant or academic unit dean’s office should be able to assist you.
- Consult the Graduation Deadlines to determine your graduating semester and the timeline for submitting final documents.
Submit the Preliminary Copy and Oral Defense Announcement
The Oral Defense Announcement will be posted on the Graduate School Website. You, your dissertation advisor, graduate program director, department chair, and dean will be notified when it is posted.
The following items are due in the Graduate School 3 weeks before the oral defense:
- A D6 form with all committee and Graduate Program Director signatures
- A D9 form in Microsoft Word format emailed to the Graduate School - GradSchoolFormsATumslDOTedu. You must use the format in the D9.
- Note: Abstracts must be 350 words or less.
- A copy of your dissertation. All should be submitted in PDF format with your signed D6 and D9.
Go to your Oral Defense
- E-Mail or bring a paper copy of the D7 to your oral defense.
- Obtain the decisions and signatures of your committee on the D7
- Submit the D7 to your graduate program director.
- The form should be submitted electronically to the Graduate School - GradSchoolFormsATumslDOTedu
Complete the Survey of Earned Doctorates
Students earning a Ph.D. are required to complete the Survey of Earned Doctorates. Students completing an Ed.D. or a D.N.P. should not complete the survey. Please note that the survey year ends in June. If you are a Summer graduate, please check with the Graduate School to make sure that the survey for your graduating class is available.
Students may complete the web-based survey here.
When you complete the survey, a copy of your certificate of completion should be forwarded to the Graduate School by the Survey. Please keep a copy for your records, in case we do not get it.
Submit Final Dissertation [Two different submission sites]
1. UMSL ETD
The Graduate School will accept the final version submitted electronically through the ETD website. A copy of your dissertation is made available through UMSL's ETD site.
- Go to https://apps.umsl.edu/webapps/weboffice/ETD/stud/login.cfm.
- The dissertation must be submitted as a PDF saved as: LASTNAMEFIRSTNAME.PDF
- This includes dissertations with short-term embargoes. Please contact the Graduate School if your dissertation needs to be withheld from the public for up to 60 months.
Please note: The “archiving option” is only for master’s thesis students.
All doctoral students are required to submit their dissertations with Proquest/UMI’s ETD Administrator. Students are responsible for all fees associated with submission and publishing. The University has no restrictions on the options offered by Proquest/UMI.
In order to submit your dissertation to UMI/Proquest, you will need to convert the document to a PDF. You can convert a Microsoft Word document to a PDF at any UMSL student computer lab. If you need to edit the PDF to accomplish such as inserting pages with tables or scans, please go to the Faculty Resource Center for assistance. The Proquest/UMI site also has conversion software if your dissertation is in one document.
Once you have a PDF ready or if you would like Proquest/UMI to convert the document for you, go to Proquest/UMI’s ETD Administrator to complete the submission process.
If you need to delay availability in the UMSL library, please send a separate request to the Graduate School. Choosing a publishing restriction will not delay the shelving of your dissertation in the UMSL library or availability on the web.
Checklist for Final Approval
The Graduate School will give final approval on the D7 when:
- We have proof of completion of the Survey of Earned Doctorates (Ph.D. only)
- We have approved your submission to Proquest/UMI’s ETD Administrator
- Your advisor has approved the electronic copy submitted to http://etd.umsl.edu .
- You have a zero balance on your student account. Charges for future coursework do not apply.
The Graduate School will not accept any materials intended for personal copies or gift copies for the committee. Students may order all copies from Proquest/UMI.
Copyrighting is optional. You can register your copyright directly with the U.S. government at http://copyright.gov or Proquest/UMI offers to file the registration for you. Request for copyright happens at the time of submission.