About the College
News and Events
Message from the Dean
Our Faculty and Staff
Pre-Licensure BSN Programs
RN to BSN Program
Post MSN Certificates
Scholarships and Loans
Student Nursing Organizations
Alumni and Friends
Giving to the College
Clinical Faculty Research Interests
Grant Services and Resources
Tenured/Tenure-Track Faculty Research
Rick S. Zimmerman, PhD
Associate Dean for Research and Professor
College of Nursing, South Campus
- BA, Sociology, Stanford University, Palo Alto, CA
- MS, Sociology, University of Wisconson, Madison,WI
- PhD, Sociology, University of Wisconsin, Madison, WI
- Improving Effective Design and Targeting Of Substance Abuse Prevention Messages - Principal Investigator, NIDA (NIH), $553,220, 2013-2017
- Preventing Violence Behavior among College Students - Co-principal investigator, US Dept. of Education, $285,567, 2007-2009
- Targeting Mass Media Campaigns for HIV, STD, and Pregnancy Prevention- Principal Investigator, NIMH (NIH), $2,615,142, 2005-2011
- Improving School Learning Environments in HIV Prevention - Co-Principal Investigator, $2,086,866, NINR (NIH), 2007-2011
- School Based Alcohol and HIV Prevention in South Africa - Principal Investigator, $1,575,000, NIAAA (NIH), 2002-2007
- Boyson, A., Zimmerman, R. S., Shoemaker, S. (in press). Exemplification of HAART & HIV/AIDS: A news Experiment Health Communication.
- Benotsch, E.G., Zimmerman, R.S.,Cathers, L., McNulty, S., Pierce, J., Heck, T., Perrin, P., & Snipes, D.J. (2013). Non-medical use of prescription drugs, polysubstance use, and mental health in transgender adults. Drug and Alcohol Dependence,132, 391-394.
- Mehrotra, P., Zimmerman, R.,.Noar, S., & Dumenci, L.(2013). A test of an adapted Multiple Domain Model in predicting sexual behaviors among unmarried young adults in India. Journal of Sex Research, 50(2),116-127.
- Atwood, K. A., Zimmerman, R. S., Cupp, P. K., Fongkawe, W., Miller, B. A., Byrnes, H. F., Chamratrithirong, Ap., Rhucharcenpompanich, O., Nonthathom, C., Rosati, M. J., Warunee, C.(2012). Correlates of precoital behaviors, intentions, and sexual initiation among Thai adolescents. The Journal of Early Adolescence, 32(3), 364-386.
- Cupp, P.K., Zimmerman, R. S., Bhana, A., Feist-Price, S., Dekhtyar, O., Karnell, A., Ramsoomar, L. (2008). Combining and adapting American school-based alcohol and HIV prevention programs in South Africa: The HAPS project.Vulnerable Children and Youth Studies, 3(2), 134-142
- Zimmerman, R. S., Cupp, P. K., Donohew, R. L., Sionean, C., Feist-Price, S., Helme, D. (2008). Effects of a school-based, theory-driven HIV and pregnancy prevention curriculum. Perspectives on Sexual and Reproductive Health, 40(1):, 42-51.
- Zimmerman, R. S., Noar, S. Feist-Price, S., Dekhtyar, O., Cupp, P. K., Anderman, E., Lock, S. (2007) Longitudinal test of a Multiple Domain Model of adolescent condom use. Journal of Sex Research, 44(4),380-394.
- Zimmerman, R. S., Palmgreen, P., Noar, S. M., Lustria, M. L. A., Lu, H. Y., Horosewski, M. L. (2007). Effects of a televised two-city safer sex mass media campaign targeting high sensation-seeking and impulsive decision-making young adults. Health Education & Behavior, 34(5), 810-826.
- Roberto, A. J., Zimmerman, R. S., Carlyle, K., Abner, E. L., Cupp, P. K., Hansen, G. L. (2007). The effects of a computer-based HIV, STD, and pregnancy prevention intervention: A nine-school trial. Health Communication, 21(2), 115-124.
- Noar, S. M., Zimmerman, R. S. (2005). Health behavior theory and cumulative knowledge regarding health behaviors: Are we moving in the right direction? Health Education Research: Theory & Practice, 20(3),275-290.
- Zimmerman, R. S., Friedman, S. (2011, August). Efforts at Designing “Structural Interventions” for HIV Prevention Need More Input from Sociologists. Roundtable presented at the American Sociological Association annual meeting, Las Vegas, Nevada.
- Zimmerman, R. S., Palmgreen, P., Noar, S. M., Cupp, P. K., Floyd, B. R. (2010, November). Developing, implementing, and evaluating a public service announcement (PSA) campaign to delay sexual activity in adolescents: The challenge and promise. Paper presented at the 138th Annual Meeting of the American Public Health Association, Denver, CO.
- Zimmerman, R. S., Janssen, E., Girardelli, D., Kittel, J.A., Floyd, B., Mehrotra, P. (2010, June). Arousing ourselves into risky sex: Effects of arousal on condom-related decision making. Paper presented at the Society for the Scientific Study Sexuality annual meeting , Las Vegas, NV.
- Zimmerman, R. S.(2008, April). What works in HIV prevention?, Invited talk to Vanderbilt University Center on Global Health, Nashville, TN.
- Zimmerman, R. S., Cupp, P. K., Bhana, A., Feist-Price, S. (2007, July). Explaining initiation of sexual activity in South Africa with the Multiple Domain Model. Paper presented at AIDS Impact conference, Marseilles, France.
Other Scholarly Activities
- Zimmerman, R. S., DiClemente, R., Andrus, J., Hosein, E. (Eds.). (in press). Global Health promotion. Washington, DC: Jossey-Bass.
- Albrecht, G., Zimmerman, R. S., (Eds.). 1992. Advances in medicalsSociology, Volume 3. AIDS: SociologicalpPerspectives. Greenwich, CT: JAI Press.
Honors and Awards
- Member, Data Safety and Monitoring Board, NIMH Multi-Site Study, “A Multilevel HIV Prevention Strategy for High-Risk Youth,” Daniel Romer, PI, 2004-2009
- Standing member, Behavioral Science Prevention of HIV Study Section, NIH, 2003-2007
- Researcher of the Year, College of Communications and Information Studies, University of Kentucky
- Phi Beta Kappa, Stanford University, 1978
- American Public Health Association
- Midwest Nursing Research Society
- Society for Prevention Research
- American Academy of Health Behavior
- Society for Public Health Education