About the College
News and Events
Message from the Dean
Our Faculty and Staff
Pre-Licensure BSN Programs
RN to BSN Program
Post MSN Certificates
Scholarships and Loans
Student Nursing Organizations
Alumni and Friends
Giving to the College
Clinical Faculty Research Interests
Grant Services and Resources
Tenured/Tenure-Track Faculty Research
Anne F. Fish, Ph.D., RN, FAHA
231 Nursing Administration Building
231 Nursing Administration Building
College of Nursing, South Campus
- BSN - Nursing, University of Texas, Galveston, TX
- MSN - Nursing, University of Texas, Galveston, TX
- PhD - Nursing, NIH Pre-doctoral Fellow, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI
- Post-Doctoral - NIH Postdoctoral Fellow, Nursing, University of Illinois, Chicago, IL
- Insulin Injection Techniques - Principal investigator with Q. Lou in Nanjing China, College of Nursing Internal Monies, $2,500, 2015 * 2017
- Transitioning, Teens with Diabetes to Adult Health Care - Principal Investigator with B. Meyer, University of Missouri Research Board, $16,658, 2014-2015
- Reducing Injury and Disability – Faculty Contributor Regarding the eLearning Online Course and Program Development RFP, Co-investigator with J. Bachman, and R. Yakimo, UM System, $5,000, 2010-2012
- A Qualitative Investigation of African American Women’s Perception of Psychosocial Support and Informational Needs When Newly Diagnosed With Breast Cancer - P. Potter Principal Investigator with A. Fish and other members (consultants), Barnes Jewish Medical Staff Association Funding, $3,130, 2002-2007
- Nursing Intervention: Exercise in Hypertensive Women – Principal Investigator with D.J. Frid & D. Douglas Miller (Co-Investigators), University of Missouri Research Board, $38,856, 2000-2002
- Nursing Intervention: Exercise in Hypertensive Women - Principal Investigator with D. J. Frid (Co-Investigator), NIH, $350,000, 1997-2003
- Wang, Y., Li, F., Lou, Q. Q., & Fish, A. F. (in press 2015). Frequency, severity, and risk factors related to sexual dysfunction in women with type 2 diabetes in China, Journal of Diabetes.
- Shelton, A. K., Freeman, B., Fish, A. F., Bachman, J. A., & Richardson, L. I. (2015). A computer-based education intervention to enhance surrogate informed consent for genomics research in intensive care: A pilot study. American Journal of Critical Care, 24(2), 148-155.
- Craft, L. & Fish, A. F.,(2014). Evidence based practice and its application in cardiac rehabilitation. Journal of Clinical Exercise Physiology, 3(1), 3-8.
- Berger, C., Bachman, J. H., Casalone, G. G., Farberman, S., & Fish, A. F. (2014). An oral health program for children. The Nurse Practitioner, 39(2), 48-53.
- Harrison, R. L., Mattson, L. K., Durbin, D. M., Fish, A. F., & Bachman, J. A. (2012). Wellness outcomes in community living adults: The Weigh to Life Program. Patient Education & Counseling, 86, 270-276.
- Jamerson, P., Fish, A. F., & Frandsen, G. (2011). NS-RAP: An innovative program to facilitate clinical research in a pediatric hospital setting. Applied Nursing Research: Clinical Methods, 24 110-113
- Durbin, C.,Fish, A. F., Bachman, J. A., & Smith, K. (2010). Systematic review of educational interventions to increase advanced directive completion. Journal of Nursing Scholarship, 42, 234-241.
- Astroth, K. S.,Fish, A. F., Mitchell, G. L., Bachman, J. A., & Hsueh, K-H. (2010). Construct validity of four exercise stage of change measures in adults. Research in Nursing and Health, 33, 254-264.
- Shelton, A., K.,Fish, A. F., Cobb, J. P., Bachman, J. A., Jenkins, R. L., Battistich, V., & Freeman, B. D. (2009). Surrogate informed consent for genomics research in intensive care. American Journal of Critical Care, 18, 418-427.
- Fish, A. F., Christman, S.K., Frid, D. J., Smith, B. A., & Bryant, C. X. (2009). Feasibility and acceptability of stepping exercise for cardiovascular fitness in women. Applied Nursing Research, 22, 274-279.
- Daley, L. D., Fish, A. F. Frid, D. J., & Mitchell, G. L. (2009). Stage-specific education/ counseling intervention in women with elevated blood pressure. Progress in Cardiovascular Nursing, 24,(2), 45-52.
- Emery, C. F., Frid D. J., Engebretson, T. O. , Alonzo, A. A., Fish, A. F. Ferketich, A. K., Reynolds, N. R., Dujardin, J-P., Homan, J. E., Stern, S. L. (2004) Gender differences in quality of life among cardiac patients. Psychosomatic Medicine, 66(2), 190-197.
- Folta [Fish], A. Joshua, I. G., & Webb, R. C. (1989). Dilator actions of endothelin in coronary resistance vessels and the abdominal aorta of the guinea pig. Life Sciences, 45(26), 2627-2635.
- Fish, A. F. 2011-2015). Multiple yearly invited podium presentations in Eastern China about publishing, hypertension, research methods, and evidence-based practice, as part of a research collaboration with Lou Qingqing, MSN, CDE, Director of Health Education with nurse managers and nurses at the Nanjing Provincial Hospital for the Integration of Eastern and Western Medicine.
- Fish, A. F. (2013, April). Angina and cardiac risk factor reduction. Invited paper presented to the Heart Menders, an affiliation of the Preventative Cardiovascular Nurses Association. St. Charles, MO.
- Schneiderhahn, B., & Fish, A. F. (2012, November) as part of Missouri Baptist-UMSL Collaborative Research Partnership, Eight versus sixteen hour active re-warming after therapeutic hypothermia following cardiac arrest. Poster presented at The 6th Annual Multidisciplinary Research Conference, The Department of Research for Patient Care, Barnes-Jewish Hospital, St. Louis, MO.
- Fish, A. F. (2011, December). Advanced evidence-based practice as enrichment. Invited paper presented at Peking University School of Nursing, Beijing, China.
- Fish, A. F. (2011, November). Evaluating a community-based wellness program: Participant responses and outcomes. Paper presented at BTI’s 3rd International Congress on Cardiology, Track 6. Cardiovascular Health and Nursing: Heart Disease Nursing and Management, Beijing, China.
- Astroth, K. S, Fish, A. F. achman, J. A., & Hsueh, K-H. (2008, March). Factors predicting exercise performance in a work setting. Paper presented at the 32nd Annual Meeting of the Midwest Nursing Research Society, Nursing Research at the Crossroads of Global Health, Indianapolis, IN.
Other Scholarly Activites
- Associate Editor. Translational Journal of the American College of Sports Medicine, Appointed, 2015-2016
- Board of Directors and Secretary, Nu Chi Chapter of Sigma Theta Tau, International Nursing Honor Society, Local Chapter, Elected, 2015-2016
- Missouri Baptist Medical Center-UMSL Collaborative Research Partnership (20%), 2011-2013
- Commentary, Reducing Psychological Distress in Adult and Pediatric ICD Patients, released with the new Scientific Statement on Educational and Psychological Interventions to Improve Outcomes for Recipients of Implantable Cardioverter Defibrillators and Their Families, American Heart Association (National Level), Available in: American Heart Association Learning Library, Posted September 24, 2012, Invited
- Cultivating a Spirit of Inquiry: Evidence-Based Practice. St. Luke’s Medical Center, St. Louis, MO. Collaborative Research Partnership, Clinical Research, Missouri Baptist Medical Center (20%), 2011-2013
- International Collaboration, Jiangsu Province Hospital on Integration of Chinese and Western Medicine, Nanjing University of Chinese Medicine, Nanjing, China with Lou Qingqing, MSN, CDE, Director of Health Education; for the purpose of teaching and collaborative manuscript writing and research, 2011, 2012
Honors and Awards
- Fellow of the American Heart Association affiliated with the Council of High Blood Pressure Research (FAHA), 2011-present, and Fellow of the International Studies and Programs, UMSL, 2012-present
- Appointed, Prevention Committee, Council on Cardiovascular Nursing, American Heart Association (National Level), 2012-2014, Vice Chair
- Appointed, Evidence-Based Practice Expert Panel and Evidence-Based Practice Standing Committee, American College of Sports Medicine (National Level), 2012-2013, Member
- NIH Nursing and Related Clinical Sciences Study Section, 2011, 2012, Member
- American Heart Association (National Level) Innovative Research Grant (IRG) Clinical and Population Section Peer Review Study Group, 2012, 2013, and Behavioral Science Peer Review Study Group, 2010, 2011, Member
- Sigma Theta Tau International
- American Society of Hypertension
- American Heart Association – Councils: High Blood Pressure Research, Cardiovascular, and Stroke Nursing and Epidemiology and Prevention
- American College of Sports Medicine
- Preventive Cardiovascular Nurses Association