About the College
News and Events
Message from the Dean
Our Faculty and Staff
Pre-Licensure BSN Programs
RN to BSN Program
Post MSN Certificates
Scholarships and Loans
Student Nursing Organizations
Alumni and Friends
Clinical Faculty Research Interests
Grant Services and Resources
Tenured/Tenure-Track Faculty Research
Susan Dean-Baar, PhD, RN, FAAN
150 Nursing Administration Building
Dean and Professor
150 Nursing Administration Building
College of Nursing, South Campus
OverviewNursing workforce and professional practice environments are the focus of Dr. Dean-Baar’s scholarship. She has been a leader in the development and implementation of nursing standards and guidelines for practice. She has served as chair of many national task forces and committees working on the definition, framework and development of national standards and guidelines for practice and as a consultant to health care organizations. Currently she serves as an appraiser for the American Nurses Credentialing Center Magnet Recognition Program.
Dr. Dean-Baar has been actively involved in the field of rehabilitation nursing for more than thirty years. She is a past president of the Association of Rehabilitation Nurses and has served as Chairperson of the Rehabilitation Nursing Foundation Board of Trustees and editor of Rehabilitation Nursing. She has provided testimony to federal agencies on rehabilitation nursing research, education, and practice, and has provided curriculum consultation to various agencies, including the Vietnam Ministry of Health as part of a Health Volunteers Overseas program funded by USAID.
In October of 2011, she received the Sigma Theta Tau International Dorothy Garrigus Adams Award for Excellence in Fostering Professional Standards and Lucie S. Kelly Mentor award.
- PhD - Loyola Univversity
- MS - Rush University
- BSN - Loyola University
Selected Funded Projects:
- Project Director, Wisconsin Center for Nursing, 2011 Nursing Education Survey
- Project Director, Wisconsin Center for Nursing, 2010 Nursing Education Survey
- Project Director, Wisconsin Center for Nursing, 2010 Nursing Workforce Survey
- Site Project Director, “Wisconsin Technology Enhanced Collaborative NursingEducation WI-TECNE” DHHS, Health Resources and Services Administration, 2006 – 2011, Grant No 1 U1KHP07714-01-00. Project Director, Patricia F. Brennan. UWM Budget $200,000.
- Project Director, “The Milwaukee Corridor to Nursing Degree Completion: A Coordinated Curriculum.” Funded by the University of Wisconsin System Committee on Baccalaureate Expansion Grant. January 2006, $75,000.
- Project Director, “Nursing Endeavor Program – College of Nursing Freshman Cohort Initiative” Funded by the UWM Access to Success Program 2008-2009, $35,190.
- Project Director, “Simulation in Nursing Education” Funded by the UWM Educational Technology Advisory Committee 2008-09, $66,375.
- Educational Strategies Director, “State of Wisconsin Initiative to Fast Track (SWIFT) Nurse Educators”, funded US Department of Labor, 2005-2007, Grant No. HG14776RFO, $1,365,101, Project Director, Sally P. Lundeen
- Project Director, Nursing Faculty Loan Program, DHHS Health Resources and Services Administration, 2003-2011 Total funding: $1,482,217.
- Project Director, Scholarships for Disadvantaged Students, DHHS, Health Resources and Services Administration, 1999-2011 Total funding: $1,136,339
- Principal Investigator, “UWM/Aurora Partnership in Clinical Nursing Education: A Pilot Program in Community-Based Nursing in an Integrated Health Care System”, funded by Helene Fuld Health Trust, 1999-2001, $98,269
- Project Director, Advanced Education Nursing Traineeship, DHHS, Health Resources and Services Administration, 1998-2011 Total funding: $919,365.
- Principal Investigator, “Validation of Rehabilitation Nursing Standards of Practice”, funded by the Rehabilitation Nursing Foundation, 1998, $4,725.
- Principal Investigator, “Milwaukee Area Pressure Ulcer Project”, 1996
- Principal Investigator, "Impact of Pressure Ulcer Practice Guidelines on Rehabilitation Practice and Outcomes" funded by the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee Graduate School, 1994, $7,831.
- Co-Principal Investigator, "Implementing Clinical Practice Guidelines: Innovation in Nursing Education" funded by the University of Wisconsin Undergraduate Teaching Improvement Grant Program, 1994, $22,300.
- Dean-Baar, S., Murray, M.E, Acord, L., Henriques, J. (2011). Wisconsin Registered Nurse Survey 2010: Report. Madison, WI: Wisconsin Center for Nursing.
- Dean-Baar, S., Cook, A., & Laurent, C. (2011). Wisconsin Nursing Education and Nurse Faculty: 2010 Survey Results. Madison, WI: Wisconsin Center for Nursing.
- Dean-Baar, S. (2008). Rehabilitation. In J.M. Black & J.H. Hawks (Eds.), Medical-surgical nursing: Clinical management for positive outcomes (8th ed., Chapter 10). St. Louis: Elsevier Saunders.
- Deutsch, A. & Dean-Baar, S. (2007). Economics and health policy in rehabilitation (pp. 35-53). In Mauk, K. (Ed.), The specialty practice of rehabilitation nursing: A core curriculum (5th ed.), Glenview, IL.: Association of Rehabilitation Nurses.
- Deutsch, A. & Dean-Baar, S. (2005). Summary of the GAO report: Medicare-More specific criteria needed to classify inpatient rehabilitation facilities. Rehabilitation Nursing, 30(6), 215-218.
- Dean-Baar, S., & Pakieser-Reed, K. (2004). Closing the gap between research and clinical practice. Topics in Stroke Rehabilitation, 11(2), 60-68.
- Bartz, C., & Dean-Baar, S. (2003). Reshaping clinical nursing education: An academic-service partnership. Journal of Professional Nursing, 19(4), 216-222.
- Barker, E., & Dean-Baar, S. (2002). Rehabilitation of the Neuroscience Patient. Neuroscience Nursing A Spectrum of Care (2nd ed., pp 477-500) St. Louis: Mosby, Inc.
- Dean-Baar, S., Pakieser-Reed, K., & Kelber, S. (2002). Wisconsin 2001 Registered Nurse Workforce Survey Data Analysis. Madison, WI: Wisconsin Nurses Association.
- Dean-Baar, S. (2001). Standards and Guidelines: Have They Made Any Difference? In J. McCloskey & H. Grace (Eds.) Current Issues in Nursing(6th ed., pp 234-240) St. Louis: C. V. Mosby.
- Dean-Baar, S. (2001). Health Policy and Legislation in Rehabilitation. In J. Derstine and S. Drayton-Hargrove (Eds.) Comprehensive Rehabilitation Nursing (pp.42-49). Philadelphia: W. B. Saunders.
- Leske, J. & Dean-Baar, S. (2000) University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee/Aurora Health Care System Partnership for Clinical Nursing Education in Community-based Care. In JP Bellack (Ed.) Leadership Initiative for Nursing Education: A Collection of Case Studies (pp.68-72). San Francisco, CA: UCSF Center for Health Professions.
- Provo, B., Piacentine, L. & Dean-Baar, S. (1997). Practice versus knowledge when it comes to pressure ulcer prevention. Journal of Wound, Ostomy and Continence Nursing, 24(5), 265-269.
- Dean-Baar, S. (1997). Standards and Guidelines: Do They Make Any Difference? In J. McCloskey & H. Grace (Eds.) Current Issues in Nursing (5th ed. pp 297-302). St. Louis: C. V. Mosby.
- Association of Rehabilitation Nurses (1996). Scope and Standards of Advanced Clinical Practice in Rehabilitation Nursing. Glenview, IL: Association of Rehabilitation Nurses.
- Dean-Baar, S. (1995). Rehabilitation Nursing. Imprint, 42(3), 56, 59-60.
- Association of Rehabilitation Nurses (1994). Standards and Scope of Rehabilitation Nursing Practice. Skokie, IL: Association of Rehabilitation Nurses
- American Nurses Association (1994). Standards and Scope of Respiratory Nursing Practice. Washington, D.C.: American Nurses Association.
- Dean-Baar, S. (1994). Standards and guidelines: How do they assure quality? In J. C. McCloskey & H. K. Grace (Eds). Current Issues in Nursing (4th ed). St. Louis: C. V. Mosby.
- Dean-Baar, S. (1994). Development of the Arthritis Health Belief Inventory. Rehabilitation Nursing Research, 3(4), 111-121, 129.
- Cronin-Stubbs, D., Duchene, P., LeSage, J., Dean-Baar, S., DiFilippo, J., Kopanke, D., Stehlin, M., & Swanson, B. (1994). Evaluating a geriatric rehabilitation continuing education program for nursing home and home health agency nurses. Applied Nursing Research, 7(2), 91-92.
- Dean-Baar, S. (1993). Application of the new ANA framework for nursing practice standards and guidelines. Journal of Nursing Care Quality, 8(1), 33-42.
- Cronin-Stubbs, D., Swanson, B., Dean-Baar, S., Sheldon, J., & Duchene, P. (1992). The effects of a training program on nurses' functional performance assessments. Applied Nursing Research, 5(1), 38-43.
- American Nurses Association. (1991). Task force on nursing practice standards and guidelines: Working paper. Journal of Nursing Quality Assurance,5(3), 1-17.
- American Nurses Association. (1991). Standards of Clinical Nursing Practice. Kansas City, Mo.: American Nurses Association.
- Duchene, P., Dean-Baar, S., Cronin-Stubbs, D., LeSage, J., DiFilippo, J., Kopanke, D., & Stehlin, M. (1990). Motivation of older adults. ocus on Geriatric Care and Rehabilitation, 3(8), 1-8.
- American Nurses Association and Association of Rehabilitation Nurses. (1988). Rehabilitation Nursing: Scope of Practice; Process and Outcome Criteria for Selected Diagnoses. Kansas City, Mo.: American Nurses Association..
- Mumma, C., Benda, S., Dean-Baar, S., Van de Bittner, S., & Willis-Sukosky, N. (Eds.) (1987). Rehabilitation nursing: Concepts and practice. Evanston, IL: Rehabilitation Nursing Foundation. Chapters 3 (pp.103-148) and 5 (pp.345-372).
- American Nurses Association and Association of Rehabilitation Nurses. (1986). Standards of Rehabilitation Nursing Practice, Kansas City, Mo.: American Nurses Association.
- Dean-Baar, S. & Donovan, M. (1984). Cancer rehabilitation (Chapter 9 pp 557-572), in Donovan, M. & Pierce, S. Cancer Care Nursing (2nd ed.). New York: Appleton-Century-Crofts.