Janet Y. Murray
E. Desmond Lee Professor for Developing Women Leaders and Entrepreneurs in International Business and Professor of Marketing
Office: 458 SSB ~ Voice: 314-516-6537
Dr. Janet Y. Murray is E. Desmond Lee Professor for Developing Women Leaders and Entrepreneurs in International Business and Professor of Marketing at the University of Missouri-St. Louis. She received her Ph.D. in marketing from the University of Missouri-Columbia in 1992. Dr. Murray has taught courses in marketing and international business at the undergraduate, Master's and doctoral levels. She has previously held faculty positions in marketing and international business at Saint Louis University, Cleveland State University, and City University of Hong Kong.
Dr. Murray's research interests focus on global sourcing and international marketing strategies, learning and knowledge transfer, and competitive strategy in transitional economies. Her research has appeared or is forthcoming in journals such as the Journal of Marketing, Journal of Management, Strategic Management Journal, Journal of International Business Studies, Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science, Journal of Business Research, Journal of International Marketing, Journal of World Business, Industrial Marketing Management, Management International Review, International Marketing Review, and others.
She is the recipient of numerous research recognitions and distinctions and five best paper awards. She was the recipient of the 1999 S. Tamer Cavusgil Best Paper Award for the best paper that advances the practice of international marketing management published in 1998 in the Journal of International Marketing. In 2002, she received the Hans B. Thorelli Best Paper Award for the best paper that has made the most significant contribution to the international marketing theory or thought published in the Journal of International Marketing in 2001. In 2005, she was awarded the Best Paper Award for her paper published in International Marketing Review in 2004. In 2008, she received the Douglas E. Durand Award for Research Excellence from the College of Business Administration, UMSL. In October 2005, the Center for International Business Education and Research (CIBER) at Michigan State University identified 89 most prolific researchers (out of a total of 1,908 authors) in international business during 1996 – 2005, among whom Dr. Murray ranked #21. The ranking also reflects that Dr. Murray placed as #1 female international business researcher. Based on Xu et al.’s (2008) study examining the research productivity of 2,495 authors who had published in the six leading IB journals during 1996-2006, Dr. Murray ranked #26 among these authors.
Dr. Murray has consulted with Fortune 500 and other firms in the areas of marketing and international business strategies. She serves on the editorial review boards of the Journal of International Business Studies, Journal of International Marketing, Journal of International Management, Management and Organization Review, International Journal of Business and Emerging Markets, and Strategic Outsourcing: An International Journal. She was the President of Women in the Academy of International Business (WAIB) during 2009 - 2011. In 2013, she served as the Track Chair of the Marketing Track at the Cladea 2013 Conference held in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. She was the Track Chair of the Marketing Track at the 2014 Academy of International Business Annual Meeting held in Vancouver, Canada.
The following are Dr. Murray’s selected significant publications:
- Masaaki Kotabe, Crystal Jiang, and Janet Y. Murray, "Examining Complementary Effect of Political Networking Capability with Absorptive Capacity on the Innovative Performance of Emerging-Market Firms," Journal of Management, forthcoming.
- Masaaki Kotabe, Michael J. Mol, Janet Y. Murray, and Ronaldo Parente (2012), “Outsourcing and its Implications for Market Success: Negative Curvilinearity, Firm Resources, and Competition,” Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science, 40 (2), 329-346.
- Crystal X. Jiang, Roy Chua, Masaaki Kotabe, and Janet Y. Murray (2011), “Effects of Cultural Ethnicity, Firm Size, and Firm Age on Senior Executives’ Trust in Their Overseas Business Partners: Evidence from China,” Journal of International Business Studies, 42(9), 1150-1173. (equal contribution)
- Janet Y. Murray, Gerald Yong Gao, and Masaaki Kotabe (2011), “Export Market Orientation and Export Performance: The Mediating Role of Marketing Capabilities and Positional Advantages,” Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science, 39(2), 252-269.
- Gerald Yong Gao, Janet Y. Murray, Masaaki Kotabe, and Jiangyong Lu (2010), “A ‘Strategy Tripod’ Perspective on Export Behaviors: Evidence from Domestic and Foreign Firms Based in an Emerging Economy,” Journal of International Business Studies, 41, 377-396. (the lead article)
- Masaaki Kotabe, Ronaldo Parente, and Janet Y. Murray (2007), “Antecedents and Outcomes of Modular Production in the Brazilian Automobile Industry: A Grounded Theory Approach,” Journal of International Business Studies, 38(1), 84-106.
- Janet Y. Murray, Masaaki Kotabe, and Joe Nan Zhou (2005) “Strategic Alliance-based Sourcing and Market Performance: Evidence from Foreign firms Operating in China,” Journal of International Business Studies, 36(2), 187-208.
- Kwaku Atuahene-Gima and Janet Y. Murray (2004), “Antecedents and Outcomes of Marketing Strategy Comprehensiveness” Journal of Marketing, 68(4), pp. 33-46.
- Janet Y. Murray and Masaaki Kotabe (1999), “Sourcing Strategies of U.S. Service Companies: A Modified Transaction-Cost Analysis,” Strategic Management Journal, 20, 791-809. (the lead article)
- Janet Y. Murray, Masaaki Kotabe, and Albert R. Wildt (1995), "Strategic and Financial Implications of Global Sourcing Strategy: A Contingency Analysis," Journal of International Business Studies, 26(1), 181-202.
- Masaaki Kotabe and Janet Y. Murray (1990), "Linking Product and Process Innovations and Modes of International Sourcing in Global Competition: A Case of Foreign Multinational Firms," Journal of International Business Studies, Volume 21, Number 3, 383-408.