College of Business Administration
Gerald Yong Gao
Office: 1303 SSB Tower ~ Voice: 314-516-6276
Ph.D. (Marketing), The University of Hong Kong
B.A. (Economics), Peking University
- Areas: Marketing and International Marketing
||Contemporary Marketing Concepts
||Seminars in International Marketing
Current Research Areas:
FDI, international marketing strategy, and strategic
orientation, with particular emphasis on emerging markets
Selected significant publications
- Min Ju, Kevin Zheng Zhou,
Gerald Yong Gao, and Jiangyong Lu (2013), “Technological Capability Growth and Performance
Outcome: Foreign versus Local Firms in China”, Journal of International Marketing, forthcoming.
- Murray, Janet Y., Min Ju, and Gerald Yong Gao (2012), “Foreign Market Entry Timing Revisited: Trade-off between
Market Share Performance and Firm Survival”, Journal of International Marketing, 20(3):50-64.
- Min Ju, Murray, Janet Y., Masaaki Kotabe, and Gerald Yong
Gao (2011), “Reducing Distributor Opportunism: Effects
of Monitoring Mechanisms, Norm-based Information Exchange, and Market
Orientation”, Journal of World Business,
- Murray, Janet Y., Gerald
Yong Gao, and Masaaki Kotabe (2011), “Market Orientation and Performance of
Export Ventures: The Process through Marketing Capabilities and Positional Advantages”, Journal of Academy of Marketing Science,
- Gao, Gerald Yong and Yigang Pan (2010), “The Pace of MNEs’ Sequential Entry Activities: Cumulative Experience and the Dynamic Processes”, Journal of International Business Studies, 42(9): 1572-1580.
- Gao, Gerald Yong, Janet Y. Murray, Masaaki Kotabe, and Jiangyong Lu (2010), "A 'Strategy Tripod' Perspective on Export Behaviors: Evidence from Firms Based in an Emerging Economy", Journal of International Business Studies, 41(3), 377-396.
- Gao, Gerald Yong, Yigang Pan, Jiangyong Lu, and Zhigang Tao (2008), "Performance of Multinational Firms' Subsidiaries: Influences of Cumulative Experience", Management International Review, 48(6), 749-768.
- Murray, Janet Y., Gerald Yong Gao, Masaaki Kotabe, and Nan Zhou (2007), "Assessing Measurement Invariance of Export Market Orientation: A Study of Chinese and Non-Chinese Firms in China", Journal of International Marketing, 15 (4) 41-62.
- Gao, Gerald Yong, Kevin Zheng Zhou, and Chi Kin (Bennett) Yim (2007), "On What Should Firms Focus in Transitional Economies? A Study of the Contingent Value of Strategic Orientations in China", International Journal of Research in Marketing, 24(1), 3-15.
- Gao, Gerald Yong, Yigang Pan, David K. Tse, and Chi Kin (Bennett) Yim (2006), "Market Share Performance of Foreign and Domestic Brands in China", Journal of International Marketing, 14 (2), 32-51.
- Zhou, Kevin Zheng, Gerald Yong Gao, Zhilin Yang, and Nan Zhou (2005), "Developing Strategic Orientation in China: Antecedents and Consequences of Market and Innovation Orientations", Journal of Business Research, 58 (8), 1049-1058.
- Douglas E. Durand
Award for Research Excellence, 2010
- Best Paper
Award, the Global Marketing Track, American Marketing Association Summer Educator’s
- Anheuser-Bush Award for Excellence in Teaching, 2008
- Ad Hoc Reviewer
- Academy of Management Journal
- Journal of International Business Studies
- Journal of International Marketing
- Journal of Management Studies
- Journal of International Management
- American Marketing Association
- Academy of International Business