Office: 1303 SSB Tower ~ Voice: 314-516-6276
Ph.D. (Marketing), The University of Hong Kong
B.A. (Economics), Peking University
Teaching Areas: Marketing and International Marketing
|Professional MBA||MKTG 5700||Contemporary Marketing Concepts|
|MBA||MKTG 5780||Seminars in International Marketing|
|Undergraduate||MKTG 3700||Basic Marketing|
Current Research Areas:
FDI, international marketing strategy, and strategic orientation, with particular emphasis on emerging markets
Gao, Gerald Yong, En Xie, and Kevin Zheng Zhou (2014), “How Does Technological Diversity in Supplier Network Drive Buyer Innovation? Relational Process and Contingencies”, Journal of Operations Management, forthcoming.
Min Ju, Kevin Zheng Zhou, Gerald Yong Gao, and Jiangyong Lu (2013), “Technological Capability Growth and Performance Outcome: Foreign versus Local Firms in China”, Journal of International Marketing, 21(2),1-16.
Murray, Janet Y., Min Ju, and Gerald Yong Gao (2012), “Foreign Market Entry Timing Revisited: Trade-off between Market Share Performance and Firm Survival”, Journal of International Marketing, 20(3), 50-64.
Min Ju, Murray, Janet Y., Masaaki Kotabe, and Gerald Yong Gao (2011), “Reducing Distributor Opportunism: Effects of Monitoring Mechanisms, Norm-based Information Exchange, and Market Orientation”, Journal of World Business, 46(4), 487-496.
Murray, Janet Y., Gerald Yong Gao, and Masaaki Kotabe (2011), “Market Orientation and Performance of Export Ventures: The Process through Marketing Capabilities and Positional Advantages”, Journal of Academy of Marketing Science, 39(2), 252-265.
Gao, Gerald Yong and Yigang Pan (2010), “The Pace of MNEs’ Sequential Entry Activities: Cumulative Experience and the Dynamic Processes”, Journal of International Business Studies, 42(9), 1572-1580.
Gao, Gerald Yong, Janet Y. Murray, Masaaki Kotabe, and Jiangyong Lu (2010), “A ‘Strategy Tripod’ Perspective on Export Behaviors: Evidence from Firms Based in an Emerging Economy”, Journal of International Business Studies, 41(3), 377-396.
Gao, Gerald Yong, Yigang Pan, Jiangyong Lu, and Zhigang Tao (2008), “Performance of Multinational Firms’ Subsidiaries: Influences of Cumulative Experience”, Management International Review, 48(6), 749-768.
Murray, Janet Y., Gerald Yong Gao, Masaaki Kotabe, and Nan Zhou (2007), “Assessing Measurement Invariance of Export Market Orientation: A Study of Chinese and Non-Chinese Firms in China”, Journal of International Marketing, 15(4), 41-62.
Gao, Gerald Yong, Kevin Zheng Zhou, and Chi Kin (Bennett) Yim (2007), “On What Should Firms Focus in Transitional Economies? A Study of the Contingent Value of Strategic Orientations in China”, International Journal of Research in Marketing, 24(1), 3-15.
- Gao, Gerald Yong, Yigang Pan, David K. Tse, and Chi Kin (Bennett) Yim (2006), “Market Share Performance of Foreign and Domestic Brands in China”, Journal of International Marketing, 14(2), 32-51.
- Zhou, Kevin Zheng, Gerald Yong Gao, Zhilin Yang, and Nan Zhou (2005), “Developing Strategic Orientation in China: Antecedents and Consequences of Market and Innovation Orientations”, Journal of Business Research, 58(8), 1049-1058.
Certificate of Excellence in Reviewing, Journal of International Management, 2013
Douglas E. Durand Award for Research Excellence, 2010
Best Paper Award, the Global Marketing Track, American Marketing Association Summer Educator’s Conference, 2010
Anheuser-Bush Award for Excellence in Teaching, 2008
- Area Editor (Marketing), Journal of Asia Business Studies
- Editorial Board Member, Asia Pacific Journal of Management
Ad Hoc Reviewer
- Academy of Management Journal
- Journal of International Business Studies
- Strategic Management Journal
- International Journal of Research in Marketing
- Journal of International Marketing
- Journal of Management Studies
- Journal of International Management
- Beta Gamma Sigma Honor Society
- Alpha Mu Alpha Marketing Honorary Society
- American Marketing Association
- Academy of International Business