James A. Breaugh
Professor of Management
Office: 218 Computer Center
Ph.D. Industrial and Organizational Psychology, Ohio State University, 1977
M.A. Industrial and Organizational Psychology, Ohio State University, 1975.
B.A. Psychology, Boston College, 1972
- Areas: human resource management, organizational behavior.
- Areas: employee recruitment, job autonomy, personnel selection, work-family conflict
- Selected Publications:
- Breaugh, J. A. (in press/2013). Employee Recruitment. To appear in Annual Review of Psychology.
- Breaugh, J. A. (chapter under contract). Setting Recruitment Objectives and Recruitment Strategy Development. To appear in D. Cable and T. Yu (Eds.) The Oxford Handbook of Recruitment. New York: Oxford University Press.
- Breaugh, J. A. (2012). Employee Recruitment: Current Knowledge and Suggestions for Future Research. The Oxford Handbook of Personnel Assessment and Selection, Neal Schmitt – Editor. New York: Oxford University Press, pp. 68-87
- Breaugh, J. A. & Farabee, A. (2012). Telecommuting and Flexible Work Hours: Alternative Work Arrangements that Can Improve the Quality of Work Life. Work and Quality of Life: Ethical Practices in Organizations. M. Joseph Sirgy, Nora P. Reilly, & C. Allen Gorman – Editors. New York: Springer Science+Business, pp. 251-274.
- Breaugh, J. A. (2010). Improving Employee Retention Through the Use of Realistic Job Previews. Chapter in R. Watkins & D. Leigh (Eds.). Handbook of Performance Interventions (pp. 203-220). San Francisco: Wiley-Jossey/Bass. Awarded a 2011 ISPI (International Society for Performance Improvement) Award of Excellence.
- Breaugh, J. A. (2009). The Use of Biodata for Employee Selection: Past Research and Future Directions. Human Resource Management Review, 19, 219-231.
- Breaugh, J. A., Macan, T. H., & Grambow, D. M. (2008). Employee Recruitment: Current Knowledge and Directions for Future Research. Chapter to appear in International Review of Industrial and Organizational Psychology. New York : John Wiley.
- Breaugh, J. A. & Arnold, J. (2007). Controlling Nuisance Variables by Using a Matched-groups Design. Organizational Research Methods, 10, 523-541.
- Breaugh, J. A. (2005). Rethinking the Control of Nuisance Variables in Theory Testing. Journal of Business and Psychology.
- Frye, K. & Breaugh, J. A. (2004). Family-Friendly Policies, Supervisor Support, Work-Family Conflict, Family-Work Conflict, and Satisfaction. Journal of Business and Psychology, 19, pp. 197-220.
- Breaugh, J. A. (2003). Effect Size Estimation: Factors to Consider and Mistakes to Avoid. Journal of Management, 29, pp. 79-97.
- Breaugh, J. A., Greising, L. A., Taggart, J. W., & Chen, H. (2003). The Relationship of Recruiting Sources and Pre-hire Outcomes: An Examination of Yield Ratios and Applicant Quality. Journal of Applied Social Psychology, 33, pp. 2267-2287
- Breaugh, J., "Research on Employee Recruitment," Journal of Management, 26, 2000, 405-434.
- Breaugh, J., "Measuring Job Ambiguity Facets: Construct Validity Evidence," Journal of Applied Psychology, 79, 1994, 191-202.
- Breaugh, J., Employee Recruitment: Science and Practice, South-Western Publishing, 1992.
Department Chair: Management.
Associate Editor: Journal of Applied Psychology (1997-2002)
Fellow: Society for Industrial and Organizational Psychology
Fellow: American Psychological Association
Fellow: Association for Psychological Science
Chair: Human Resources Division, Academy of Management (1996-97)
Selected consulting experiences: Anheuser-Busch, City of Bridgeton, Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, Express Scripts, Monsanto, Saint Louis County, Visiting Nurse Association.