College of Business Administration
Professor of Operations Management
Office: 235 Express Scripts Hall ~ Voice: 314-516-6145
Degrees Held: Ph.D. Industrial Engineering and Management Sciences, Northwestern University, 1980 M.A. Economics, California State University - Fullerton, 1975 B.S. Industrial Engineering, Northwestern University, 1972
- Areas: Operations Management; Operations Research
- BA 3320 - Introduction to Operations Management
- BA 5322 - Lean Production in Manufacturing and Service Operations
- LOM 5320 - Production and Operations Management
- Areas: Location Analysis, Lean Production in Service Systems, Environmental Aspects of Operations
- Selected Significant Publications:
(Publications since 2002)
- A.P. Hurter and J.S. Martinich, Facility Location and the Theory of Production, Kluwer Academic Publishers, Boston, 1989.
- J.S. Martinich, Production and operations Management: An Applied Modern Approach, John Wiley, New York, 1997.
Articles in Print
- J.S. Martinich, "College Football Rankings: Do the Computers Know Best?" Interfaces 32(5) (2002) 85-94. (Reprinted in ORMS Tomorrow 5, (Spring, 2003)).
- J.S. Martinich, "The Critical Few Minutes in Scheduling Time-Varying Queuing Systems, Decision Sciences 33 (2002) 415-431.
Working papers and articles under review
- J. S. Martinich, "A Framework for Teaching and Implementing Lean Production," (2006) under review.
- J.S. Martinich and D.A Berger, "State and Local Recycling Economic Information Studies: Overcoming the Estimation Challenges," (2006) under review.
- J.S. Martinich, "Searching for Bias in March Madness," (2006) under review.
Book chapters in press
- J.S. Martinich, "Preface to Bricklaying System," by Frank B. Gilbreth, Heuristic Press, Chesterfield, MO (2006) 1-7. (In press)
- J.S. Martinich, "Preface to Motion Study," By Frank B. Gilbreth, Heuristic Press, Chesterfield, MO (2006) 1-5. (In press)
Published Technical Reports/Monographs
- J.S. Martinich, Lee Fox, Alan Hauff, and Anand Jeyaraj, Recycling Means Business: St. Louis Metropolitan Area Recycling Economic Information Study (SLMAREIS), St. Louis - Jefferson Solid Waste District, 2003, 98 pages.
- J.S. Martinich, "Estimated Government Revenue Effects of Recycling, Reuse, and Re-Manufacturing (RRR) Businesses in the St. Louis Metropolitan Area," St. Louis - Jefferson Solid Waste Management District, December 30, 2003, 6 pages.
- J.S. Martinich, "Analysis of Student Retention Data and Recommendations, University of Missouri - St. Louis, June 1, 2004, 51 pages.
- J.S. Martinich, "Recycling, Reuse, and Re-Manufacturing in the St. Louis Metropolitan Area: An Update of the SLMAREIS," St. Louis - Jefferson Solid Waste Management District, March 22, 2006, 34 pages.
- J.S. Martinich, "Recycling, Reuse, and Re-Manufacturing in Missouri: An Update of the MOREIS," St. Louis - Jefferson Solid Waste Management District, May 28, 2006, 33 pages.
- Chair, UMSL Senate Admissions and Financial Aid Committee
- Editorial Board, Journal of Managerial Issues