College of Business Administration
Finance Board Scholar and Associate Professor of Finance
Office: 1111 Tower ~ Voice: 314-516-6269
Degrees Held: Ph.D. (Finance), University of California, Irvine, 2005
M.A. (Finance), Fudan University, Shanghai, China, 1999
B.A. (Finance), Nankai University, Tianjin, China, 1996
- Areas: Financial Management, International Finance
- FINANCE 3580 - International Corporate Finance
- FINANCE 6500 - Financial Management
- Areas: Credit Risk, Derivatives, Corporate Finance, International Finance, Risk Management
- Selected Significant Publications:
- Book Chapters:
- Zhang, Gaiyan (2013), Book Chapter “Sovereign Credit Default Swaps”, in Frontiers of Economics and Globalization: International Financial Markets, Hung-gay Fung and Yiuman Tse ed., Emerald.
- "Credit Contagion and Counterparty Risk", with Philippe Jorion, in Financial Contagion: The Viral Threat to the Wealth of Nations, John Wiley & Sons, Inc. 2011.
- "Credit Contagion and Counterparty Risk", with Philippe Jorion, in Lessons from the Financial Crisis: Causes, Consequences, and Our Economic Future, Hoboken, NJ: John Wiley & Sons, Inc. 2010.
- "Credit Derivatives: Trends, Challenges and Opportunities," in Advances in International Investments: Traditional and Alternative, H.G. Fung, ed. World Scientific, 2008.
- "China's Foreign Exchange Market," in China's Capital Markets: Challenges from WTO Membership, Chan, K.C., H. G. Fung, and Q. W. Liu ed. Edward Elgars Publishing Co., 2007.
- Received University of Missouri-St. Louis' Amheuser-Busch Excellence in Teaching Award in 2011 and Douglas E. Durand Award for Research Excellence in 2007, FDIC research fellowship from Center for Financial Research in 2007, UM-St. Louis Research Awards in 2005, UMSL Center for International Studies Research Fellowship, UMSL Small Grants Fund, College of Business Summer Research Grant, University of California at Irvine's Dissertation Grant, Fudan University Sasakawa Distinguished Researcher Award, and Fudan University New York Life Outstanding Graduate Research Award.
- Papers accepted for presentation at the National Bureau of Economic Research (NBER) 'Risk of Financial Institutions' program held in University of Chicago, the 2nd Bank of Canada Conference on Fixed Income Markets, the FDIC's Center for Financial Research Workshop, and the AFA, WFA, and FMA annual meetings.
- PhD dissertation 'Intra-industry credit contagion: the evidence from the credit default swap market and the stock market' was in the top-10-list by downloads at the Social Science Research Network (SSRN) in the areas of 'Options, Futures and Derivatives', and 'Risk Management' (2004).
- Paper reviewer for Journal of Finance, Journal of Financial Economics, Review of Financial Studies, Management Science, Journal of Banking and Finance, Journal of Financial Intermediation, Journal of Corporate Finance, Journal of Futures Market, Financial Review, Journal of Financial Services Research, The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance, Quarterly Journal of Finance, International Review of Finance, Journal of Financial Stability, Chinese Economy, China and World Economy, Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions & Money, Emerging Markets Finance and Trade, Multinational Business Review, International Review of Economics and Finance. Grant reviewer for the Research Grants Council of Hong Kong, University of Missouri Research Board. FMA Annual Meeting Program Committee on International Finance.
- Member of Financial Management Association, American Financial Association, Western Financial Association