About the College
Administrators and Staff
Mission and Vision Statements
Faculty Areas of Expertise
Partnerships and Outreach
Advisory and Volunteer Boards
Alumni and Friends
Donate to The College Of Business
Our Alumni News
Assurance of Learning
AoL Organization Chart
Undergraduate Learning Goals and Objectives
MBA Learning Goals and Objectives
MSIS Learning Goals
Student Information for Business Assessment Testing
Sample Questions for Business Assessment Testing
Faculty AOL Login
Departments and Centers
Executive Education & Professional Studies
PMP® Certification Prep
SHRM® Certification Prep
Executive Leadership Consortium
Our New Home
News and Events
Advanced MIS Lab
Graduate Management Admission Council
Links of Interest
Tutor and Lab Information
Awards and Scholarships
Visit UMSL Business
Edward C. Lawrence, Professor of Finance
Office: 232 Anheuser-Busch Hall Voice: 314-516-6148
Ph.D., Finance, Pennsylvania State, University Park, 1982
MBA, Finance, Pennsylvania State, University Park, 1974
B.S.B.A., Gannon University, Erie, Pennsylvania, 1973
- Areas: Corporate Finance, Commercial Banking, Real Estate, Investments
- Advanced Security Analysis
- Principles of Real Estate
- Commercial Bank Management
- Financial Management
- Practicum in Finance
- Areas: Health Care Economics; Commercial Banking; Investments.
- Selected Significant Publications:
- Lawrence, Edward C., Ellen Briskin, and Qing-Jiang Qu. "A Review of State Tax Incentive Programs for Creating Jobs." Journal of State Taxation 31.3 (2013): 25-32.
- Lawrence, E. C., Desai, Chintal, Elliehausen, Gregory E., On the County-Level Credit Outcome Beta, Journal of Financial Services Research, online January 2013.
- Lawrence, E. C., Muehling, Heather, Midwest Bancshares Inc., International Research Journal of Applied Finance, January 2013.
- County‑Level Bankruptcy Beta and its Impact on the Supply of Revolving Credit@ (with Gregory E. Elliehausen), Investment Management and Financial Innovation, Volume 10, Issue 1, 2013.
- An Overview of Pharmacy Benefit Managers: Focus on the Consumer@ (with Ellen Briskin and Jane QingJiang Qu), published by Express Scripts, April 2012.
- The Economic Impact of Mercy Health System on St. Louis and Missouri@, (with Ellen Briskin and Jane QingJiang Qu), published by Mercy Health System, July 2011.
- The Economic Impact of Express Scripts on St. Louis and Missouri@ (with Ellen Briskin and Jane QingJiang Qu), published by Express Scripts, December 2010.
- Lawrence, Edward C. "Biases in Mid-Year and End-of-Year Conventions in Discounted Cash Flow Models for Corporate Valuations." Journal of Legal Economics 16.1 (2009): 1-VI.
- Lawrence, Edward C. "Student Managed Investment Funds: An International Perspective." Journal of Applied Finance 18.2 (2008): 67-83.
- Lawrence, E. C. and Elliehausen, G., A Comparative Analysis of Payday Loan Customers. Contemporary Economic Policy, 26: (2008): 299–316.
Serves as a public arbitrator for the Financial Industry Regulatory Authority (FINRA), formerly NYSE and NASD, for investment disputes between brokers and investors.
Serves as paper reviewer for the following journals: Journal of Banking and Finance, Review of Economic and Statistics, Financial Practice and Education, Financial Management
American Finance Association, European Financial Management Association, Financial Management Association, French Finance Association