About the College
Mission and Vision Statements
Faculty Areas of Expertise
Partnerships and Outreach
Advisory and Volunteer Boards
Alumni and Friends
Donate to The College Of Business
Our Alumni News
Departments and Centers
Future UMSL Business Building
News and Events
Breakfast and Business
Advanced MIS Lab
Graduate Management Admission Council
Honor Societies and Student Organizations
Links of Interest
Small Business Resources
Awards and Scholarships
Ph.D. (Major - Finance; minor - Economics), Georgia State University,1984
B.B.A. (Major - Finance; minor - Economics), The Chinese University of Hong Kong, 1978
- Areas: Investments, Risk Management, Corporate Finance, International Investments
- International Banking
- International Finance
- Options and Futures
- Investment Analysis
- Corporate Finance
- Areas: International Finance, Banking, Derivative Markets and Small Business Finance
- Selected Significant Publications:
- Fung, Hung-Gay, Min-Ming Wen and Gaiyan Zhang. How Does the Use of Credit Default Swaps Affect Firm Risk and Value? Evidence from U.S. Life and Property/Casualty Insurance Companies. Financial Management, Vol. 41, pp. 979-1007, 2012.
- Wu, Ming-Cheng, Hung-Gay Fung and Yi-Ting Huang. What Drives the Dating Game of Executive Options Exercises? Evidence from Taiwan. Accounting and Finance, Vol. 52, pp. 605-625, 2012.
- Chang, Chien-Yun, Jian-Hsin Chou, and Hung-Gay Fung. Time Dependent Behaviour of the Asian and the U.S. REITs around the Subprime Crisis. Journal of Property Investment & Finance, Vol. 30, pp. 283-303, 2012.
- Kao, Erin and Hung-Gay Fung. Intraday Trading Activities and Volatility in Round-the-Clock Futures Markets. International Review of Economics and Finance, Vol. 21, pp. 195-209, 2012.
- Fung, Hung-Gay, and Jot Yau. The Chinese Offshore Renminbi Currency and Bond Markets: The Role of Hong Kong. China and World Economy, Vol. 20, pp. 1-16, 2012.
- Fung, Hung-Gay, Min-Ming Wen, and Gaiyan Zhang. The Use of Credit Default Swaps in the Insurance Industry: Evidence from U.S. Life and Property-Casualty Insurance Companies. International Review of Accounting, Banking and Finance, Vol. 3, pp. 20-49, 2012.
- Fung, Hung-Gay, Kam C. Chan, and Nick Tay. Institutional Characteristics and Market Impediments in Asian Capital Markets: An Introduction. International Review of Economics and Finance, Vol. 20, pp. 365-366, 2011.
- Fung, Hung-Gay, Huh-Chyi Doong, and Jrya Wu. Are Social, Financial, and Human Capital Value Enhancing? Evidence from the Taiwanese firms. International Review of Economics and Finance, Vol. 20, pp. 395-405, 2011.
- Fung, Hung-Gay, Jrya Wu, and Jot Yau. Toward a New Paradigm for Corporate Financial Management in the Wake of the Global Financial Crisis. International Review of Accounting, Banking and Finance, Vol. 3, pp. 27-47, 2011.
- Fung, Hung-Gay, and Haifeng Guo. Underpricing Research on Chinese Initial Public Offerings. Chinese Economy, Vol. 44, pp. 72-85, 2011.
- Fung, Hung-Gay, Joy Yau, and Gaiyan Zhang. Financial Theory, Breakdown of Separation Theorems, and Corporate Policies. International Review of Accounting, Banking and Finance, Vol. 3, pp. 24-42, 2011.
- Guo, Haifeng, and Hung-Gay Fung. Growth Enterprise Board Initial Public Offerings: Characteristics, Volatility and the Initial-day Performance. China and World Economy, Vol. 19, pp. 106-121, 2011.
- Fung, Hung-Gay, Wilson Liu, and Yiuman Tse. The Information Flow and Market Efficiency Between the U.S. and Chinese Aluminum and Copper Futures Markets. Journal of Futures Markets, Vol. 30, 2010.
- Murray, Janet, Kam Chan and Hung-Gay Fung. Productivity of International Business Researchers: A Gender Analysis. Journal of the Academy of Business Education, Vol. 11, 2010.
- Fung, Hung-Gay. China-focus Mutual Funds: An Analysis of Selectivity and Market Timing Performance. Chinese Economy, Vol. 43, 2011.
- Wu, Jr-Ya, Hung-Gay Fung, and Shuh-Chyi Doong. Will Investments in Human Resources Improve Credit Risk Rating of Firms?. Taiwan Business Performance Journal, Vol. 4, 2010.
- Zhang, Gaiyan, Jot Yau, and Hung-gay Fung. Do Credit Default Swaps Predict Currency Values?: Evidence from the U.S. and European CDS Indices. Applied Financial Economics, Vol. 20(6), pp. 439-458, 2010.
- Fung, Hung-Gay. Business Ethics Research: A Global Perspective. Journal of Business Ethics, Vol. 95, 2010.
- Fung, Hung-Gay, J.L. Jeng, and Wilson Liu. Development of China’s Real Estate Market. Chinese Economy, Vol. 43, 2010.
- Fung, Hung-Gay, Kam C. Chang, and Gaiyan Zhang. On the Relationship Between Asian Credit Default Swap and Equity Markets. Journal of Asian Business Studies, pp. 3-11, 2009.
- Fung, Hung-Gay, Pei-Shan Tsai and Chin-Ping Yu. What Drives Returns and Underpricing of Seasoned Equity Offerings in Taiwan?. Journal of Asian Business Studies, pp. 12-21, 2009.
- Fung, Hung-Gay, Kam C. Chang, and Carl Chen. Pedigree or Placement? An Analysis of Research Productivity in Finance. Financial Review, Vol. 44, pp. 87-111, 2009.
- Fung, Hung-Gay, Kuei-Chi Lee, and Tung Liang Liao. Day-of-the-week Effects in the US and Chinese Commodity Futures Markets. Review of Futures Markets, pp. 63-89, 2009.
- Fung, Hung-Gay, Kam C. Chang, and Wai K. Leung. Influential Research and Institutions in International Business Research. Multinational Business Review, Vol. 17, pp. 23-45, 2009.
- Fung, Hung-Gay, Louis Cheng, and T. Y. Leung. Dividend Preference of Tradable-Share and Non-Tradable-Share Holders in Mainland China. Accounting and Finance, Vol. 49, pp. 291-316, 2009.
- Fung, Hung-Gay, Feng Ying Guo and Sophie Huang. The Dynamic Impact of Macro Shocks on Insurance Premiums. Journal of Financial Services Research, Vol. 35, pp. 225-244, 2009.
- Fung, Hung-Gay, Louis Cheng, and T. Y. Leung. Why Do Poorly Performing Firms Pay Cash Dividends in Mainland China?. International Review of Accounting, Banking and Finance, Vol. 1, pp. 55-75, 2009.
- Fung, Hung-Gay, Gaiyan Zhang, and Lin Zhao. China's Equity Warrants Market: An Overview and Analysis. Chinese Economy, Vol. 42, pp. 86-97, 2009.
- Eyssell, Thomas, Hung-gay Fung, and Gaiyan Zhang. Determinants and Price Discovery of China Sovereign Credit Default Swaps. China Economic Review, Vol. 24, pp. 1-15, 2013.
- Fung, Hung-Gay, Jot Yau, and Gaiyan Zhang. Reported Trade Figure Discrepancy, Regulatory Arbitrage, and Round Tripping: Evidence from the Chinese-Hong Kong Trade Data. Journal of International Business Studies, Vol. 42(1), pp. 152-176, 2011.
- Fung, Hung-gay, Yiuman Tse, Jot Yau, and Lin Zhao. A Leader of the World Commodity Futures Markets in the Making? The Case of China’s Commodity Futures. International Review of Financial Analysis, Vol. 27, pp. 103-114, 2013.
- Recipient, Best Paper Award (with G.Lai, R. MacMinn and Bob Witt), Committee on Online Service (COOS), Casuality Actuarial Society, 1999.