The University of Missouri - St. Louis is the land-grant research institution committed to meeting diverse needs for higher education and knowledge in the state’s largest metropolitan community. Founded in 1963 the University educates traditional and nontraditional students in undergraduate, graduate and professional programs so that they provide leadership in the private and public sectors. The University of Missouri - St. Louis Sociology program is committed to offering students, the University, and the St. Louis region the most advanced training in the insights and techniques of sociological inquiry.
The mission of the sociology program is to increase the critical understanding of social behavior by teaching students the principles and methodologies of sociology, to promote research and:
1. Prepare students to deal with social problems and issues by:
2. Support students to achieve excellence 3. Conduct research to contribute to new knowledge 4. Respond to a changing society by developing innovative programs to meet the challenging needs
- Understanding scientific principles of sociological approach
- Gaining skills in critical thinking and empirical research
- Applying scientific principles to concrete social problems