About The Department
Message from the Chair
The Saint Louis Area
Faculty & Professional Staff
Graduate Student Funding Resources
Undergraduate Advising Office
Careers in Psychology
Undergraduate Trauma Studies Certificate
Psych Research Studies
Community Psychological Service
Center for Trauma Recovery
Kathy J. Weinman Children Advocacy Centre
Alumni and Friends
Giving to the Department
What application options are there?
Our program requires full-time attendance beginning in the fall semester only.
When are application materials due?
All materials must be received by January 15.
What materials are required?
See the admissions checklist to be sure you have all required materials.
When can I expect to hear back?
Although we cannot guarantee a particular response time, most applicants will hear something regarding the status of their application in March.
What are the minimum and average GPA and GRE requirements?
There are no set minimum requirements. The average scores for incoming students in recent years are:
• GPA: 3.55
• GRE-Verbal: 156
• GRE-Quant: 151
• GRE-Writing: 5.11
Do I have to be a psychology major to apply?
No, you do not. However, the following courses (or equivalent) are required for admission:
• General psychology
• Research methods
• Introduction to Industrial - Organizational psychology
What should I put in my personal statement?
Great personal statements convey the following information:
• Why you are interested in Industrial – Organizational Psychology
• Description of research related experiences. o Please tell us about your responsibilities/contributions on your research project(s)
• Be sure to highlight any research presentations, publications, grants, awards, etc.
• Why you are interested in our program specifically
• A sense of your personality
• Strong writing skills
• Any additional information you want us to consider as we review your application
• Do I need to apply to a specific lab?
No, students are not assigned to a specific advisor or lab when they are admitted. Students can work with multiple faculty in the program and choose an advisor after arriving. However, if you are interested in working with a particular faculty member, you may indicate this information in your personal statement.
• I am an international applicant. What do I need to know?
Please consult UM-SL’s International Student & Scholar website for information.http://www.umsl.edu/~intelstu/prospective/admissions.html
• Is there a fee to apply?
Yes, the University of Missouri - St. Louis charges an application fee of $35 for U.S. Citizens and $40 for international students.
If you have any questions during the application process:
• For technical questions, please contact Jaime Lincoln at (314) 516-4974.
• For general admissions questions, please contact Graduate Admissions at (314) 516-5458 or email@example.com.
• For more specific questions, please contact the Psychology Department at (314)516-5391, or e-mail the Director of the I/O Program, Dr. Stephanie Merritt, at MerrittS@umsl.edu