- Perception of sociophonetic variation: first and second language
- Second language phonology
- Acquisition of variation in a second language
- Laboratory phonology
- Schmidt, L. B. & Willis, E. W. (2011). Voicing assimilation of Spanish /s/ in Mexico City. In Scott M. Alvord (Ed.), 2010 Laboratory Approaches to Romance Phonology (LARP) conference proceedings. Somerville, MA: Cascadilla Proceedings Project.
- Schmidt, L. B. (2009). The effect of dialect familiarity via a study abroad experience on L2 comprehension of Spanish. In J. Collentine, M. Garcia, B. Lafford & F. Marin (Eds.), Selected proceedings of the 11th Hispanic Linguistics Symposium. Somerville, MA: Cascadilla Proceedings Project.
- Introduction to Hispanic Linguistics (SPANISH 3326)
- Advanced Spanish Grammar (SPANISH 4300)
- Spanish Phonetics and Phonology (SPANISH 4328)
Current Research Projects:
- Cross-dialectal differences in perception of sociophonetic variation
- Acquisition of sociophonetic variants in a L2
- Spanish sibilant voicing assimilation
- Assimilatory effects in L2 speech