Welcome to the Biology Department!
The UMSL Biology department has three missions:
1. To carry out cutting-edge research, from the level of individual molecules to that of global interactions between organisms and the environment.
2. To teach students the fundamental principles of biology and help them understand the relationship between biological principles by developing their ability to think critically.
3. To disseminate the results of our research in scholarly publications, in our teaching, and, more broadly, by interaction with the local and national community.
Ongoing Faculty Recruitment
Click the links for details of each position
- Infectious Disease Mechanisms
- Director of Harris World Ecology Center & Professor of Biology
- Chair of Biology
- E. Desmond Lee Professor in Botanical Studies
The Department of Biology provides academic programs leading to a B.A. or B.S. in Biology. In cooperation with the College of Education, the department offers teacher certification. We also offer graduate work leading to Master of Science and Doctor of Philosophy degrees. For more information on our programs, please check out the links to the left. If you need anything else, feel free to contact us directly.