College of Arts and Sciences Organizational Chart
Administration and Staff
Advising and Student Resources
Dr. Marcus Allen Advising Center
Student Advisory Council
LSAT, MCAT and GRE Test Prep Information
Departments and Academic Programs
Certificates and Minors
Online Forms and Reports
Alumni and Friends
Undergraduate Capitol Research Day
Undergraduate Research Symposium
Resources for Researchers
|When:||Next date to be determined|
|Where:||J.C. Penney Conference Center, UMSL|
Seeking a graduate degree? The GRE revised General Test measures critical thinking, analytical writing, verbal reasoning, and quantitative reasoning skills that have been acquired over a long period of time and that are not related to any specific field of study. The GRE is required for a large variety of master’s degree and doctoral degree programs. Master’s in Education (ME), Social Work (MSW), Nurse Practitioner (NP), Business, and Public Administration programs often require or accept the GRE exam.
UMSL GRE Prep Classes Offer
- Expert Instructors: Our highly trained instructors are here for you. Our experienced instructors have aced the GRE and care about helping you achieve your goals
- Proven Strategies: Test Prep's program was developed by exam prep experts, who have years of experience writing exam questions and preparing students for success on standardized exams
- Superior Materials: The GRE Prep Course materials have been completely re-written for the GRE revised General test. Materials include: The Official Guide to the GRE revised General Test - the most recent publication from ETS, the official GRE provider, the GRE Student Workbook, designed to supplement your classroom lessons, and Powerprep II software on CD-ROM, including a complete simulated computer based GRE
- Convenient Location: All University Test Prep programs are conveniently held on the UMSL campus
- Value: Fee includes all course materials and instruction from a trained professional who cares about your success at an affordable cost
About Our Program
The UMSL Test Prep program is a partner with Educational Testing Consultants, a leader in higher education test preparation. Each year, Educational Testing Consultants helps hundreds of students at major colleges and universities across the United States. Educational Testing Consultants provides a proven program with a record of success and highly-trained top quality instructors.
Hear What Others Have Say About Our Program
...Upon taking the class, doing the work, and using the techniques provided in the class my score went up 100 points on the verbal and 50 points on the quantitative areas. This class was concise, educational, and very beneficial.
I truly don't think I would have passed the exam without your class. You were very supportive and provided many insightful tips for strategies on taking the exam. I am extremely satisfied with my results and I know the course was worth every penny.
Who Should Take the UMSL GRE Test Prep Course
The UMSL GRE Prep course is ideal for those seeking an advanced degree in a wide range of fields within the next five years. This course is ideal for anyone who has been out of school for a few years and for current undergraduate students looking for assistance with the complex quantitative and verbal skills needed to succeed on the GRE. Fields of study that typically require or accept the GRE include: Education, nursing, MBA programs, social work, or other related fields of study may be required to sit for the GRE.
Quantitative Test Topics Include
- Review of basic mathematical skills needed to succeed on the GRE
- Tips for breaking complex word problems into small, manageable parts
- Tips for turning difficult geometry diagrams into solvable equations
- Strategies for solving each question type, including: quantitative comparison, multiple right answer, multiple choice and numeric entry questions
Verbal Test Topics Include
- Solving problems when you don’t know the vocabulary
- Answering reading comprehension questions quickly, without reading the entire passage
- Using comparison and contrast clues to solve sentence completion problems
- Dealing with the Text Completion and Sentence Equivalence questions
Strategies for the analytical writing section are outlined, and sample prompts with accompanying essays are discussed.
General Topics Include
- Minimizing test anxiety
- Solving unfamiliar question formats
- Utilizing the process of elimination
- Mastering time management skills
- Identifying common distracters