College of Arts and Sciences
- Print out the list of UMSL majors and cross out all the ones you know don't interest you. Then look at the majors that are left.
- Examine the major sheets and the Bulletin for those majors and see which ones sound interesting.
- Look at the What Can I Do With This Major? site to see common careers linked these majors.
- As you are considering majors and need more clarification on your career goals, meet with a career professional in Career Services to learn more about career development strategies.
- Consider attending one of Career Services's workshops such as "Pursuing Degrees & Exploring Careers."
Find Out More
- Look up descriptions of these careers using the Occupational Outlook Handbook, O*NET, or Career One Stop.
- Take a look at the Majors & Degrees site and also the different Colleges & Schools sites for each major you're considering. There's lots of great information there!
- Get involved with a student organization to stay connected, network, and build leadership skills.
- Talk with a professor who works in your field of interest. Consult your academic advisor for help identifying one.
- Visit Career Services to learn about various internship opportunities that would support your career goals.
Talk with your academic advisor about your career and major interests.
Take the Next Step
- If you are in Undergraduate Studies, work with your advisor to plan major-exploratory courses and get more exposure to potential majors and careers.
- If you are currently declared but would like to talk with an advisor about your major options, call our front desk at 314-516-5501 or stop by our office in Room 303 Lucas Hall and ask to speak with an available advisor.
- If you are currently declared but want to change to a new major, see instructions on how to declare your major.