Individual Assistance in Career Services
Career Services provides walk-in assistance and individual appointments to currently enrolled, degree-seeking UMSL students, and alumni up to two years after graduation. See the Alumni Page for information regarding those who have not graduated within the last two years. Walk-ins Welcome, Appointments Encouraged.
What to expect:
- Sessions are about you and what is important for you. The Career Team is available to help you with areas ranging from career exploration and decision making to action planning for internships, job searching, and graduate school.
- Progress is made through active participation on your part. Come to Career Services ready to work and with your thoughts and ideas on your career goals!
- You are the expert on YOU. The Career Team is the expert on the career planning process. Our office is built around a number of resources to help you shape your career while at UMSL. Our job is to help you plan effectively and to find the information necessary to make informed decisions about your career.
- Our Career Team is trained to provide you with new tactics, strategies, and ideas to help you build your career.
What NOT to expect:
- We are not a placement agency!
- We are not able to provide you with an exact list of employers, graduate programs, or jobs that are a "fit" for you. Instead, we can provide you with the resources to help you develop your own strong list.
- We do not have a "test" that will tell you what to do with your career or tell you what path to take. We have strategies and resources, including career assessments, for exploring the many options you have and the paths to take to reach your career goals.
- We do not provide academic advising. Your academic advisor is a trained professional who can assist you with your course selection and other parameters about changing majors.
- We do not write your resume for you. Instead, we provide you with a number of resources to build your marketing brand and Career Team members can review and provide content and formatting suggestions.