Faculty Senate and University Assembly

FACULTY SENATE

 

(to be considered for approval at April 23, 2002, meeting of the Faculty Senate)

UMSL
March 19, 2002
3 p.m.
Century Room A
Millennium Student Center 

The meeting was called to order at 3:07 p.m. by Faculty Senate Chairperson Lawrence Barton.  Dr. Van Reidhead was congratulated on his election to chair the Faculty Senate/University Assembly in 2002-03, and Dr. Lois Pierce was congratulated on her re-election to serve as Senate Secretary in 2002-03.  Dr. Timothy McBride, it was announced, has been elected to chair the 2002-03 Committee on Committees.  

Minutes

Minutes from the previous meeting (held February 19, 2002) were approved as submitted.

Report from the Chairperson – Dr. Lawrence Barton

Dr. Barton expressed concern about how quickly we conduct Senate elections and suggested that next year, we may want to stretch out that time period.  He explained that we used the same procedures as were used by Dr. Jeanne Zarucchi, Dr. Barton’s predecessor.  We asked at-large candidates to express an interest.  It was pointed out at the Steering Committee meeting that, very often, the best people don’t volunteer. 

Another issue is the definition of faculty.  This, too, might have to be revisited next year. 

Chair Barton reminded Senate members that the Board of Curators is meeting in St. Louis this week.  It is a very important meeting for us.  The Senate will host a breakfast for the Curators on Friday morning, March 22.  All senators are invited. 

A number of prominent researchers on the campus – both junior and senior faculty – will be introduced and will sit among the Curators so they will have the chance to visit.  The Board meeting’s agenda includes the budget, our Master Plan, our Strategic Plan, and open meetings on the Presidential search.  Members of the Intercampus Faculty Council are concerned that there be faculty input on the search and that the input come sooner in the process than it did on the previous occasion. 

The Chair reported that he had a conversation with Dr. Nancy Shields, chairperson of the Administrator Evaluation Committee, concerning the

-2-

instrument to be used this year.  The Committee has modified very slightly the form used a year ago in Columbia.  Copies were provided at the meeting for the edification of Senate members.  The thrust this year is to put in place an online option that may encourage response.  The Committee will guarantee confidentiality. 

Also circulating is the draft prepared by the Ad Hoc Committee on ATP Procedures, which has just about finished its work.  The Committee will report at a Special Faculty Meeting to be held on April 2.  The Chair urged everyone to peruse the document.  He noted that the Barnes College of Nursing is now the Barnes College of Nursing and Health Studies, and the College of Fine Arts and Communication will be added to the final document. 

The Chair reported his frustration in his conversations with President Pacheco at meetings of the Intercampus Faculty Council.  Chair Barton reported that he wrote to the President about six weeks ago, pointing out his (the Chair’s ) perspective of the problem with funding for this campus.  The Chair described his letter as strong, asking the President to recognize that our historical 12 percent share of the budget during a time when we have added many programs, schools, etc., is unacceptable.  We want the President to recognize that there is a problem and agree to try to find a solution.  Chair Barton said he pointed out that he wasn’t suggesting taking funds from another campus, but rather that each year there could be some minor adjustments so that maybe in 10 years’ time, we might have 16 percent.  Some would say that is not enough, but the Chair noted that at least we would be moving in the right direction.  The response received from the President appeared, in the Chair’s judgment, as though the President hadn’t read the Chair’s letter.  The Chair offered to share copies of both letters with members of the Senate.  The original letter from Chair Barton was written in confidence, but the President chose to circulate the Chair’s letter anyway. 

The Subcommittee on Funding Equity of the House Education Appropriation Committee met here and in other locales last fall.  The Chair reported that the staff support person to that Committee died, so the report was prepared later than had been anticipated.  Written by the chairperson of the Committee, the report was accepted by the Committee by a vote of 3 to 2.  The report was further delayed when one of the opponents decided to write a minority report.  Before the report was issued, the chairperson of the House Education Appropriation Committee (Chuck Graham D-Columbia) dissolved the Committee.  The report has been presented to the full Committee, but it has not been released by the chairperson.  Anyone can get a copy of the report by requesting one from his/her state representative.  The Chair urged senators to pursue a copy. 

 

-3-

 

The Chair was very upbeat about Legislative Day, sponsored by the Alumni Association, and he encouraged senators to continue the fight for equitable funding.  Dr. Timothy McBride and the Chair have been collaborating on efforts to get some things in the newspaper. 

The Senate Banquet will be held on April 23rd, St. George’s Day in England. 

Report from the Chancellor – Chancellor Blanche Touhill

The Chancellor reported that applications by students seeking admission to the University this fall are running 7 to 8 percent ahead of last year.  The biggest increases are among students seeking admission in Nursing and Engineering.  Applications for summer school are also ahead of last year’s applications. 

It was announced that the Information Technology Task Force will present its report to the UMSL community on Thursday, April 4, at 2:30 p.m. in Room 222 of the J. C. Penney Building.  The effort was begun last year by Interim Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs Douglas Durand and continued by Vice Chancellor Durham this year.  Dr. John McClusky has facilitated this process.  Vice Chancellor Durham will send faculty additional information prior to this meeting. 

The Faculty will hold a special meeting on April 2nd at 3 p.m. in 126 J. C. Penney to discuss proposed changes in the Appointments, Tenure, and Promotion guidelines.  These proposed changes can be found on the Academic Affairs website. 

Searches are under way for several key leadership positions, and information about these positions may be found on the Academic Affairs website.

Dr. Alan Artibise  has announced his resignation as Executive Director of PPRC and as E. Desmond Lee Professor of Community Collaboration and Community Policy.  Dr. Artibise has been appointed a dean at the University of New Orleans.  A search for an interim director of PPRC will begin shortly. 

Dr. John Russell, who has served as Dean of the Joint Engineering Program with Washington University, has announced his plans to retire this summer.  Discussions are under way with Washington University to appoint a new dean to lead this program. 

The Chancellor reported that the Deans are in the process of developing preliminary proposals to deliver selected academic programs to outreach sites.  The University expects to increase the number of these outreach programs by the

-4-

fall of 2003 through the use of the University’s course management system (Blackboard), interactive television, and face-to-face instruction.

In a related matter, representatives of the National Guard were on campus last week to meet with faculty and administrators regarding new opportunities to deliver academic programs to Ft. Leonard Wood and other military sites using technology.

Over the past several months, a group of faculty and administrators led by Vice Chancellor Durham have met to discuss minimum content elements for academic unit web pages.  As a result of these meetings, a new web page is being designed for the College of Fine Arts and Communication that will serve as a template for other Schools and Colleges. 

Efforts have begun to establish guidelines for the development of undergraduage certificate programs.  Dean David Ganz and Vice Chancellor Durham are leading this effort. 

Chancellor Touhill reported that the University is participating in a UM System Graduate and Professional Fee Task Force that expects to issue a report this summer.  UMSL representatives are Vice Chancellor Durham, Mr. Lawrence Westermeyer, and Interim Dean of Optometry Larry Davis. 

Board of Curators President John Mathes visited our campus last week for several hours to learn more about the University’s use of technology to support teaching and learning on campus and at distant sites.  Online programs in Business and Nursing were highlighted for Curator Mathes, who praised this campus’s many efforts to use technology effectively and extensively.

A task force of administrators and faculty that was created earlier this year by Vice Chancellor Durham to review the University’s faculty workload policy has submitted its report to Vice Chancellor Durham, who is now reviewing the report and discussing its recommendations with the Council of Deans.  Vice Chancellor Durham expects to provide the Chancellor with his recommendations regarding the report before the end of the current semester. 

The Curators will be meeting on campus March 21 and 22.  Their agenda has been distributed and will be distributed again on Wednesday.  The Chancellor reported that she will be making a presentation to the Curators on Friday morning regarding our new Strategic Plan.  She encouraged senators to attend.  This Board meeting, the Chancellor said, is very important to us.  We will be having under review our Strategic Plan, which is on the web.  We presented an earlier version of the Plan last year.  The General Officers listened to everyone’s Strategic Plan on about May 10th.  On approximately December 10, all of the General Officers

-5-

received their Plan back.  Only one (Columbia’s) was considered superior.  That was presented at the previous Board meeting, at which Chancellor Wallace took about 45 minutes describing various aspects of his Strategic Plan.  Chancellor Touhill will present our Plan sometime between 10 a.m. and noon on Friday.  In the first critique of our Plan, it was thought that we had too much emphasis on growth and development and mission creep.  We were told not to add anything new but to concentrate on what we are doing now and make it better.  Our new Strategic Plan only uses the words “growth” and “development” twice.  The President will critique the Plan for 10 minutes.  Then the Chancellor will have 10 minutes to talk about anything, but not the Strategic Plan.  Then the Curators will have questions and answers, which will take 30 to 40 minutes.  The Chancellor noted that we have peers, who were chosen as sort of a compromise between the System and ourselves.  We put forward names and they did as well.  The majority of the schools came from the System, but we agreed to them.  We don’t, the Chancellor said, look very good next to our peers. 

On budget, we came in 10 out of 10.  On state appropriation for FTE students, we came in 10th.  In ratio of state appropriations to tuition and fees, we came in 9 out of 10.  Our federal research expenditures came our 7 of 10.  In industry-sponsored research, we’re 2 out of 3.  Our goal with our Strategic Plan is to move up to the middle of our peer group.  Columbia wants to get closer to the top of the AAU institutions, but that goal involves a huge leap financially. 

Also at this forthcoming Board of Curators meeting will be the presentation of our Master Plan.  We rehired Sasaki and Associates.  Under their current plan, we would go around Bellerive Acres, up to Geiger, over Geiger to Hanley, down Hanley to Natural Bridge, and we would attempt to buy some property on Natural Bridge on the UMSL-side of the road.  That is a long-range strategy.  The Chancellor assured senators that we have not condemned any property.  As people would sell, we would be willing to buy under the guidelines of the appraisal system of the University of Missouri, she said.  There are also two pieces of property east of the campus that we would like to buy when the opportunity presents itself.  One is the funeral home on Natural Bridge.  The other is the location of the nuns from the Convent of the Good Shepherd on Natural Bridge, if the nuns were to decide to find another place to live.  We would try to bring our housing from 1,000 students up to 2,500.  The average number of housing for our peer institutions is 2,500. 

At the close of the Chancellor’s report, Vice Chancellor Durham publicly acknowledged Dean Mark Burkholder, who took a leadership role on developing our faculty workload policy.  

Chancellor Touhill announced that the Academic Officers are working on a list of degree programs that we would like to add.  Dr. William Long inquired if a dental school is on the list.  Vice Chancellor Durham replied in the negative, surmising

-6-

that the state would put money into the Kansas City program if there is a shortage of dentists in Missouri.  The cost of a new program for us, he said, would be prohibitive. 

Prof. David Ganz noted that the 8.5 percent fee increase will, according to a story in the Post-Dispatch, become effective July 1.  How, he asked, will that impact summer enrollment?  Chancellor Touhill reported that she has asked that the increase begin at the start of our summer program and has received assurance that it would.  She will confirm that after the Senate meeting, she said.

Dr. Teresa Thiel asked about the status of the desktop computer program and whether it would be delayed.  Chancellor Touhill said she will have to go to Budget and Planning and to the Academic Officers and report back to the Senate. 

Dr. Matthew Keefer asked if the Chancellor wanted to share any advice about demonstrations of sentiment at Board meetings.  Chair Barton informed senators that they must be silent, i.e., no cheering or booing.  Chancellor Touhill said that permission to speak must be sought and granted several weeks before the meeting. 

Chancellor Touhill credited Chair Barton for his efforts in raising the funding equity issue.  The students, too, have been splendid, she said.  President Pacheco is convinced that both UMSL and UMC are underfunded.

Report from the Intercampus Faculty Council – Dr. Lois Pierce

(see attached report and draft of financial planning assumptions)

Report from the Budget and Planning Committee – Chancellor Blanche Touhill

Chancellor Touhill reported that the Committee met on February 13 and March 13. 

At the February 13 meeting, she gave an update to the Committee on next year’s budget and informed the Committee that the Governor’s Office is attempting to reduce the cuts to higher education.  However, it appears that the University of Missouri will face a 10 percent withholding in FY03, coupled with an anticipated 8.4 percent increase in educational fees and no salary increases.

At the March 13 meeting, the Chancellor discussed the recently-revised Strategic Plan, the latest version of which is on the web. 

 

-7-

 

In closing, Chancellor Touhill said she plans to meet with the Committee in the next two weeks in order to start planning for next year’s budget. 

Report from the Committee on Research – Dr. Patricia Jamerson

The Winter Panel of the Research Committee reviewed 26 Research Award applications requesting a total of $258,302.  Twelve awards were funded, for a total of $83,330. 

Nominations for the Chancellor’s Award for Excellence in Research and Creativity were due on March 15.  The guidelines were reviewed by the panel and are available via the Office of Research Administration web page and newsletter.

April 12 is the deadline for the next round of Small Grants.

Following the report from the Research Committee, the Senate met in Executive Session to consider candidates proposed to receive Honorary Awards.  Dr. William Long called for a quorum, and a quorum was present.  The Senate completed the business at hand and adjourned at 4:07 p.m.

 

                                                            Respectfully submitted,

 

 

                                                            Lois Pierce

                                                            Senate Secretary

 

(minutes written by Ms. Joan M. Arban, Assistant to the Senate Chair)