- The 18th Annual Distinguished Alumni Lecture will be given on Monday May 2, 2005 at 4:00 pm in 451 Benton Hall. Dr. Rajiv Banavali, Ph.D. 1985, Global Research Manager at the Rohm and Haas Co. in Philadelphia will speak on "To and From UM-St. Louis: A Chemist's Journey ". All are welcome. the lecture will be followed by a reception at the Alumni Center.
- Wesley R. Harris wins the 36th St. Louis Award of the St. Louis Section of the American Chemical Society. Wes will be honored in a symposium to be held in the department of chemistry on Friday April 22 and will be presented with the award at the St. Louis Award Banquet which will be held at Kemoll's Restaurant on Saturday evening, April 23. Details will follow.
- Mark your calender for March 7th, 2005: Robert W. Murray Lecture - The 8th Annual Robert W. Murray Lecture will be given by Peter F. Bernath, Department of Chemistry, University of Waterloo, Canada .
- UMSL Chemist 2004, our annual magazine is now with the printer. View a pre-publication copy. If you have any comments about it or just want to get in touch, email the editor, Professor Lol Barton.
- Dr. Rajiv M. Banavali will present the 18th Annual Distinguished Alumni Lecture in May, 2005.
- Mark Regina has joined the department as an electronics technician. He replaces Gordon Kerschmann who retired from the department after 14 years. Mark has held similar positions at Tufts University and University of New Hampshire. He is married to our former student Karen L. Jansen, BS 1993. They met at Tufts University in Medford Massachusetts where Karen was completing her MS degree.
- Sanford A. Asher, BA 1971 has been selected as one of five UM-St. Louis alumni to receive a 2004 Distinguished Alumni Award. This is the fourth in succession for department for these very competitive awards. Read More.....
- Change in the ACS Alumni Hour: The Department will participate in the ACS Alumni Hour. It is scheduled for: Monday August 23, 6:00 7:30 pm, Penn Convention Center.
- The ACS Alumni Hour: The department will host a reception for alumni at the ACS meeting in Philadelphia. The ACS Alumni Hour will be held in the Philadelphia Convention Center from 6:00 to 7:30 pm. on Monday night, August 23. Several Faculty members will be present including the news Department Chair, Christopher D. Spilling and Lawrence Barton. We hope you will be able to stop by the reception. Please read the letter from Professor Barton
- Professor Lawrence Barton (photo) received a Boron in the Americas IX Award at the conference in San Marcos Texas in May, 2004. Boron in the Americas is held biennially in North America. The award which consists of a plaque is given typically to two boron chemists at each meeting. Last year the recipients were F. Gordon Stone, G. J. Kodama and Nicos A. Petasis. Also honored at last year's meeting were Nobel Laureates Herbert C. Brown, William N. Lipscomb and George A. Olah. More information is available on the "Boron in the Americas" web site.