Chemistry and Biochemistry
Departmental News: 2012 - 13
- BENJAMIN J BYTHELL joins the faculty as Assistant Professor. Dr Bythell is the replacement for Professor Hal Harris who retired and was appointed Founders' Professor for Fall 2013. Professor Bythell received his MChem. degree from the University of Bath, UK, in 2002 and Ph.D. from Oregon State University in 2007. He held postdoctoral fellowships at the German Cancer Research Center in Heidelberg (2008-2010) and at the National High Magnetic Field Laboratory at Florida State University (2010-2013). His interests are in analytical and biophysical chemistry.
- AlEXEI V. DEMCHENKO WINS THE 2013 CHANCELLOR'S AWARD FOR RESEARCH AND CREATIVITY. The award was set up to honor a full-time faculty member who has demonstrated superior research or creative contributions to the university. It includes a cash stipend to be presented as part of the State of the University Address in September.
- GEORGE W. GOKEL was honored with the James B. Eades Award of the St. Louis Academy of Science for 2013. The award recognizes a distinguished individual for outstanding achievement in engineering or technology.
- GOKEL RESEARCH GROUP RECEIVES RECOGNITION.
Jason Atkins and Mohet Patel, students in the research group of Professor George Gokel, have been recognized for their discovery of a method on transferring DNA into cells. Atkins and Patel also share a $50,000 grant with Gokel for the trio’s project “Novel, non-toxic and highly efficient chemical transformation and transfection reagents.” The four-campus University of Missouri System awarded the grant through its FastTrack Funding program. Earlier the pair picked up a fourth award, taking home a $50,000 Arch Grants to help fund their biotechnology startup company Genetix Fusion. The duo was among 20 companies chosen out of an initial field of more than 700 applicants, according to an article published in the St. Louis Business Journal.
- MIKE NICHOLS AND ALEXEI DEMCHENKO were also awarded a grant through the FastTrack Funding program for a monosaccharide-based compound they published on which serves as an inhibitor of bacterial-induced inflammation
- KIM S. GORMAN BA 1993 presented the 26th Annual Distinguished Alumni Lecture on Monday May 6, 2013.
- FIFTY YEARS OF GREAT CHEMISTRY was another great success on April 20, 2013
The Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry celebrated the UMSL Jubilee on April 20, 2013 from 3 – 5:00 pm with an event in the atrium of the Science Complex. More than 150 alumni, friends, faculty memerbs and other University personnel attended the event. Students from every decade including the 1960s attended and some came from VA, IN, GA, WI, OR and cities far away in Mo and IL. The celebration included a reception with refreshments, a streaming video on the 50-year history, several charts showing department milestones,etc., tours of the complex and some remarks by senior faculty and distinguished alumni.