How Do I..
Tuition and Fees
Tuition & Fee Rates
Course Fees & Rates
UMSL Online Fees
Parking & Metro
Guide to Paying Fees
Billing and Payment
View and Pay Online
Int'l Wire Transfer
Credit Card Refund
Federal Aid Refund
Drop or Withdrawal
Check Refund Status
NR Tax Offset Credit
Direct Deposit Form
Education Tax Credits
Missouri Debt Tax Offset
Student and Parent Resources
Managing Your Credit
Faculty and Staff Resources
Direct Deposit FAQ
NR Tax Offset Credit
Third Party Billing
1098T Tax Form FAQ
On August 28, 2008, the Missouri Returning Heroes' Education Act (Senate Bill 830) became law. The Heroes' Act limits tuition charged to qualified combat veterans to fifty ($50.00) dollars per credit hour, for any program leading to a certificate of Bachelor's degree. A "combat veteran" is any person who served in armed combat after September 11, 2001, who was a Missouri resident when first entering the military and who was discharged from military service under honorable conditions.
To determine your eligibility for this program, the following documentation must be submitted to the University of Missouri-St. Louis Office of Veterans Affairs (Clark Hall, Room 211):
- A copy of your most recent DD-214 (Chapters 30, 31 and 1607);
- A copy of your Missouri Driver's license or other proof of U.S. Citizenship.
Once a student is determined to be eligible for the Heroes’ Act, no further action will be needed from semester to semester. The Cashier’s Office will evaluate the student’s account each semester to calculate and apply the waiver.
Upon entering the program no GPA requirement will be required. To remain eligible for this waiver, you must maintain an overall GPA of 2.50 or higher. This requirement will be reviewed each semester
- Summer credits will be posted around mid May, just after Spring grades are calculated into cumulative GPA
- Fall credits will be posted around mid August, just after Summer grades are calculated into cumulative GPA
- Spring credits will be posted around mid January, just after Fall grades are calculated into cumulative GPA
Calculation of your Returning Heroes’ Waiver:
Example: An eligible student receiving the Heroes’ Act Waiver, who is enrolled in 12 credit hours, would pay $600 ($50 per credit hour) toward the cost of tuition.
If student also receives a Pell grant of $2,960,
|Cost of Tuition 12 Credit Hours*||$4,110.00|
|Returning Heroes Waiver Amount||$3510.00|
|$50 per credit hour tuition rate ($50x12Hrs)||$600.00|
|Estimated course fees for 12 credit hours||$514.80|
|Credit after subtracting Financial Assistance||-$1,845.20|
* Calculation based on 2017-2018 rates
Because this waiver is determined based on credit hours and financial assistance, the amount may be adjusted for adds/drops and additions/reductions in financial assistance.
- The Heroes’ Act waiver when combined with other aid will not exceed the cost of tuition.
- For more information see the Q&A at: